Chimney Support brace Positioning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Andrew V

Nov 28, 2013
Rochester NY
I did a brief search but didn’t find much. I will be installing a section of chimney and will be required to install the roof brace kit, problem is I can’t figure out the best positioning since the chimney goes up the side of the house. See picture. Will one leg go up towards the ridge and the other on the lower end?

Attachments

• CB47B7ED-0FE6-45A8-8114-DE2A19A66683.jpeg
    CB47B7ED-0FE6-45A8-8114-DE2A19A66683.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 109
I would think any direction you can get a good footing on the roof as long as the spread of the braces are approximately 60 degrees. You’ll definitely have a long and short leg though.

Reactions: Andrew V
Got it all installed. Bad part is I don’t think I hit a truss. I measured out what I though the standard was for truss spacing and I think I missed both times. Didn’t want to put multiple holes in the roof so I let it be. I sealed under the brackets so everything is water tight. I’ll re evaluate in the spring. The whole thing feels really sturdy so I’m not overly concerned for the winter

Reactions: Bigger_Al
Got it all installed. Bad part is I don’t think I hit a truss. I measured out what I though the standard was for truss spacing and I think I missed both times. Didn’t want to put multiple holes in the roof so I let it be. I sealed under the brackets so everything is water tight. I’ll re evaluate in the spring. The whole thing feels really sturdy so I’m not overly concerned for the winter

You can get a longer thin bit and from the under side next to a truss and drill a hole from the attic. Then either push a long screw driver or coat hanger up the hole. Once on the roof you’ll know where the truss is and you can caulk the hole under the shingle and on top to seal it shut. Looking good though. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk