Chimney surrounded by siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I'm looking at putting a woodstove on the main floor in the living area - finally understand the 'space heater' aspect. :)

Now I've been thinking of installation and I'm curious how this can happen. I've found a stove with a rear flue exit and I'm looking to see as little pipe as possible. I believe an exterior wall installation with a through-the-wall chimney is in order. Now, I'm curious what I would need to do to surround that chimney with vinyl siding to match the house. I'm making the assumption that I can not build a wooden frame to frame the chimney out...true?

Also, my other option is an in-the-wall chimney, but I think I would really have 'box' out an area in the wall, thereby using more space.

Any suggestions/comments/ideas?

Thank you!

I went on line and got copies of the installation manual for the stove I was interested in buying. It gives details on through the wall and other possible installations.

If I understand. In other words you need to construct a chimney for the stove on an exterior wall.

Transitioning the wall will require class A pipe and then class a all the way to termination. Class A requires 2" minimum clearance. I would personally leave extra space especially with vinyl.

Interior chimney's perform better, but not always feasible.

Check with local building inspector prior to pulling the trigger.

Some reading material:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove

http://www.class-a-chimneys.com/docs/Selkirk ClassA-Wall Support Kit Installation.pdf

Even if you clad with vinyl to match the house, the chimney chase will probably be framed with wood. Honor the 2" minimum clearance requirement all the way and you should be ok. As madison noted, there is no harm in exceeding the minimum clearances, so go to 3" for better peace of mind if you have the room.

By all means, exceed code and exceed the 2" minimum clearance. Then a chase will work out well. Also I would exceed the 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal. We went with 1/2" rise per foot.

btw, if you want the chase for looks, good. If you want the chase for improvement, that is, so the chimney won't cool down too much, I doubt you need it. We have a through the wall and up the side but do not have a chase and we get along just fine.

brianbeech said:
I'm looking at putting a woodstove on the main floor in the living area - finally understand the 'space heater' aspect. :)

Now I've been thinking of installation and I'm curious how this can happen. I've found a stove with a rear flue exit and I'm looking to see as little pipe as possible. I believe an exterior wall installation with a through-the-wall chimney is in order. Now, I'm curious what I would need to do to surround that chimney with vinyl siding to match the house. I'm making the assumption that I can not build a wooden frame to frame the chimney out...true?

Also, my other option is an in-the-wall chimney, but I think I would really have 'box' out an area in the wall, thereby using more space.

Any suggestions/comments/ideas?

Thank you!

When I relined my interior chimney, I had the thimble moved such that I could vent the stove straight out the back into the chimney - just like you, to reduce the amount of stove pipe seen - and it looks GREAT.

For my Englander install (2nd stove and chimney), we did a through the wall chimney. I used Selkirk Metalbest UT chimney system and our new addition is vinyl sided - so we have a wooden chase in vinyl clad to match the house vinyl too. This chase is built around SS chimney that is complete and self supporting without the chase. The chase is decorative only - maybe adds some insulation properties to the chimney. Ours is built much larger than the chimney pipe - well beyone the min 2 inch clearance, to resemble a traditional chimney in shape.

One other thing we did with the chimney and chase was not bring it down to the ground. it bottoms out about 4-1/2 to 5 ft above the ground. The idea is to have room to run a brush bottom up to clean the chimney.

Good luck,
Bill

A chase for a woodstove chimney (one of myriad possible configurations/finishes).

Attachments

• riverchase.jpg
    riverchase.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 701
EXACTLY what I was looking for! And why I spend so much time on here reading. Definitely wanting the surround for looks only. I like the idea of a larger size to mimic a 'typical' chimney. Leeave96, sounds like you are as particular as I am with the rear-exit flue and the surround to hide the chimney. My wife and I are very minimalistic by nature and the less the amount of change, the better.

Thanks all for the input!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.