Chimney sweep and creosote = 3 questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontanaBob

Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2008
Western Montana
I just read cowboyandy' post where the sweep pulled out 4 gallons of soot.

I too am burning less than seasoned wood (pine) in our new Englander 13. As this is our first year, and I did not have seasoned wood ready, I knew I would sweep more times than typical. So, today I went up to the roof and swept out about 5-6 cups of black light powder soot. This came from burning about 1 cord over the last 6 weeks. Once a day I try to get the Rutland indicator on the griddle top up to 600 degrees. The 6" pipe is straight and approximately 12' of double wall - 9' inside, 3' outside.

1.) Was this a lot of material?
2.) Based on this rate, would you sweep more often or less often?
3.) I've read that creosote has a hard, glass -like appearance so is this material also creosote?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

MontanaBob said:
I just read cowboyandy' post where the sweep pulled out 4 gallons of soot.

I too am burning less than seasoned wood (pine) in our new Englander 13. As this is our first year, and I did not have seasoned wood ready, I knew I would sweep more times than typical. So, today I went up to the roof and swept out about 5-6 cups of black light powder soot. This came from burning about 1 cord over the last 6 weeks. Once a day I try to get the Rutland indicator on the griddle top up to 600 degrees. The 6" pipe is straight and approximately 12' of double wall - 9' inside, 3' outside.

1.) Was this a lot of material?
2.) Based on this rate, would you sweep more often or less often?
3.) I've read that creosote has a hard, glass -like appearance so is this material also creosote?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I can't specifically answer your question yet, but I just want to say that I have almost the exact setup, also new this year. While we arent burning pine, our wood is questionable, as is our skill level. We also try to get the stove top in the 5-600 range for some time.

I have yet to peek inside the chimney, but will soon, and post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.