chimney sweep cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rawlins02

Feb 19, 2012
Western Massachusetts
Just had a cleaning done. There was some creosote and the tech used "chains". Cost has increased over past two years from $155 to $205 and now up to $280. Obviously that's a sharp increase of nearly 100% in just two years. Does anyone pay more than $300 for this service? I will likely see if someone else can do a good job next year for under $250.

Just had a cleaning done. There was some creosote and the tech used "chains". Cost has increased over past two years from $155 to $205 and now up to $280. Obviously that's a sharp increase of nearly 100% in just two years. Does anyone pay more than $300 for this service? I will likely see if someone else can do a good job next year for under $250.

Just had mine done a month ago. Inspection, full firebox cleaning, swept from the bottom of stove to top of cap. Climbed ladder and cleaned cap. All for $150. Also have to mention, they are certified with CSIA...

Learn to do it yourself. I sleep a lot better knowing what the condition of my chimney is.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
If it is bad enough to need chains there will be an upcharge. And at that point diy is not a great option. Figure out why the condition was so bad and fix it.

Bholler, good point, I missed the chains being used. Sounds like that could do some damage.

Last 2 times were about 100-125. Last year borrowed a guys broom for free. This year I might pony up a few bucks for the equipment. Still less than one sweeping.

Last 2 times were about 100-125. Last year borrowed a guys broom for free. This year I might pony up a few bucks for the equipment. Still less than one sweeping.
Not if you have to buy stuff to clean with chains it isnt. You will be getting a pro setup for that. Which will be pushing $1000. Plus if you dont know what you are doing with chains you can destroy your liner.

If it is bad enough to need chains there will be an upcharge. And at that point diy is not a great option. Figure out why the condition was so bad and fix it.

I run small and hot fires when possible, yet get some creosote buildup. Fix for less-than-ideal setup would be difficult. I have an older stove and am considering an upgrade, which may help. I'll likely just absorb this annual cleaning cost and hope it does not continue to rise so dramatically in next few years.

I run small and hot fires when possible, yet get some creosote buildup. Fix for less-than-ideal setup would be difficult. I have an older stove and am considering an upgrade, which may help. I'll likely just absorb this annual cleaning cost and hope it does not continue to rise so dramatically in next few years.
Is your wood dry? How are you running your stove?

Is your wood dry? How are you running your stove?

Yes dry wood. I run the stove often in upright mode (damper open), so as to minimize smoke. Problem is, the stove vents into a smoke chamber designed for a fireplace. I assume gases cool too quickly. Not much I can do. Could have the chimney cleaned twice each year instead of once.

If the stove is in good working order and the secondary vent flap is open, then it should burn relatively cleanly with the bypass closed. Weak draft may be why it is not. To improve the situation there should be a full liner run down the chimney and connected directly to the stove. That will help address the excessive cooling of the flue gases which should eliminate the glaze creosote issue as long as dry wood is being burned.

Last edited:
Yes dry wood. I run the stove often in upright mode (damper open), so as to minimize smoke. Problem is, the stove vents into a smoke chamber designed for a fireplace. I assume gases cool too quickly. Not much I can do. Could have the chimney cleaned twice each year instead of once.
There is something you can do. Install the stove atleast to minimum code which would be liner up into the clay liner and sealed there. A much safer and better performing option would be to run a full liner to the top of the chimney

Reactions: AlbergSteve
There is something you can do. Install the stove atleast to minimum code which would be liner up into the clay liner and sealed there. A much safer and better performing option would be to run a full liner to the top of the chimney

Not possible. And we'll leave it at that. Thanks for the help folks.

Not possible. And we'll leave it at that. Thanks for the help folks.
In that case you will have an unsafe poor performing setup that is going to continue to be very expensive to clean. The sweep may be continuing to raise the price either to loose you as a customer or to push you to a proper install.