Chimney sweep cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Niro

Burning Hunk
Jul 13, 2021
Northern Westchester NY
I have a 25ft liner in an insert that I put it last year and at that time the installer said there is no maintenance and i should get it clean every 2 years. I was new and might have burned one or two not so dry pieces in there last year. I would sleep better is I got it swept, how much should I except to pay for that service?

I have a 25ft liner in an insert that I put it last year and at that time the installer said there is no maintenance and i should get it clean every 2 years. I was new and might have burned one or two not so dry pieces in there last year. I would sleep better is I got it swept, how much should I except to pay for that service?
Anywhere from $100 to $400. Prices vary greatly by market

How hard would it be to sweep? I have a brush and rods and sweep my own.

Reactions: sixer
I used this and it seemed to work well. I did it from the inside. I went fairly slow working each section up and down for a minute or two all the way up, then the same on the way back down. A peek with a flashlight after and I was satisfied...

"Suninlife Chimney Sweep Kit, 33FT Chimney Cleaning Kit with 10 Nylon Flexible Rods, Rotary Drill Drive Chimney Brush Kit for Cleaning Fireplace"

About $70 on Amazon

How hard would it be to sweep? I have a brush and rods and sweep my own.
Fair enough, I do alot of my own landscaping and splitting. I guess I could but I'd rather have it done professionally I would know what I'm doing and there is an insert at the bottom not sure if it's special process for that.

Your manual will tell you how to do it. The sooteater rotary tool is popular here.
I use this tool and have read the manual for my insert. You can do it and you may end up doing a better job strictly bc it’s your house and you’re invested in it. Let us know if you have questions and what sort of creosote/buildup you get from sweeping you do. Actually m, take a picture of the pile of crud that you end up with. Interestingly, from that pile, you’ll get replies which tell you how “well” you’ve been burning. You’ll honesty get better input on this forum than from someone you hire to do it. Save your money. I’d only hire a sweep if physically unable to do it. With my insert, it’s a bit challenging bc of the weight of the baffles. You’ll probably be fine doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulOinMA
I just got our first sweep for $220 (chimney was installed last year). I hired the first company that would actually answer the phone and wasn't booked into January - so there might be cheaper options. It was really valuable to get opinions and advice from a guy who works on local stoves and chimneys full time; internet advice only goes so far without seeing things in person. Definitely helped me sleep better at night after the first year of winging it!

Reactions: bholler
Just checked, $139 locally if there aren't complications.

That's what I thought. We haven't had our flue swept by a sweep in years. I think the last bill was $150, but this is a new guy in town. This was just a general quote over FB, without showing up for an on-site assessment.

That's what I thought. We haven't had our flue swept by a sweep in years. I think the last bill was $150, but this is a new guy in town. This was just a general quote over FB, without showing up for an on-site assessment.
Ahhh I have seen lots of guys that do that. The price typically goes up considerably

Very possibly the case, though he may be trying to attract customers this year. The old sweep just retired.

If you have the proper brush and rods you can just do it yourself, I did mine for years but now that I’m 73 my wife won‘t let me on the roof. I live in a small city in R.I. it costs about 300$

Ok so I called the a recommended local company off of Next door App and it was $220 and they can't come til Dec 22. I said it's 25ft they said they have one price..I forgot to say it's an insert. But I booked it. Hope it's not much more if any..

I'll consider the rods and sweep may e next time.

Just out of pue curiosity if I did it myself it is from the roof down? Or from inside up?
I would consider doing it yourself if its normal flake creosote, not glaze, OR calling sweeps in the spring when the season is over :)

Like mikey, I'm getting too old to scramble about on the 2 story roof so I have been sweeping bottom up with a Sooteater now for the past several years.

Just out of pue curiosity if I did it myself it is from the roof down? Or from inside up?
I do most inserts from inside.

Reactions: sixer
I think you're wise having a sweep take a look at it for the first time. He can likely point out burning issues that could be dangerous. If he says all is good and you don't have glaze creosote you can likely do it yourself next time. You can do it from the top or bottom.