sweeping insert liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KrisP

Aug 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
Swept my 6 inch insert liner today. My second burning season but first time sweeping it myself. The brush seemed a little loose in some sections even though its one continuous flex liner. Anyways this was all that came out, 90% of this was on the baffle when i took it down before i even swept it. I only burn nights and weekends and go through a little under a cord of wood a season but I feel like this isnt much soot that came out. The liner looked clean from the parts I could see.
Anyways should i get a bigger brush or a soot eater and try again ? Or not much concern? Also the large chunks are just some old stove cement.

IMG-3596.jpg

Looks great. Not much there at all.
Grab a sooteater. Then you’ll know for sure from here on in.

If the top looked clean and that’s all you got I wouldn’t even worry about a soot eater. I’ve switched to sweeping every other year. Keep u the good burning habits

If the top looked clean and that’s all you got I wouldn’t even worry about a soot eater. I’ve switched to sweeping every other year. Keep u the good burning habits
I agree on this. I'm cleaning every 4 years. I would get a soot eater for next though. You cut it down to the size of your liner for the first use so you'll get a better fit.