1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chimney Sweep Fire Logs. Do they work?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by John the Painter, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John the Painter

John the Painter Member

Loc:
    Oyster Bed Bridge PEI Canada
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with those chimney sweep logs that you can buy at the local hardware store and whether or not they work. I do use a brush to clean out my steel liner but if the logs do work I know it would be a bit cleaner than the brush.Any info would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    Have tried them. They help but I don't think they eliminate the need for the brush. In all honestly though I did not use them for an extended period of time nor dogmatically. If I had maybe I wouldn't have had to clean the chimney so often (once a month or month and a half)
  3. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    My understanding is that generally speaking, chemical based creosote removers are used to turn stuff like stage 3, or glazed, creosote into something easier to brush. Probably no harm done in using them, but there is no substitute for a manual cleaning, which you indicated you do. Sounds like you're in good shape.
  4. polaris

polaris Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    KY.
    They do work. What they do is dry out creosote and much of it will fall down the pipe. However what they really excel at is drying and loosening creosote making the chimney far easier to sweep.
    Joe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.