Chimney sweep for $129

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedOctober

Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2007
Orangeburg, NY
The company that installed my woodstove in 2007 and about 12ft of pipe (6ft interior and 6 out) will be charging me 129 for stove service and chimney sweep. Any thoughts or opinions?

BTW, I also noticed the ceramic glass on the left door is cracked (yes its still under warantee) is there anything I can do to keep that from happening? Apparently this crack happened during spring or summer and I was quite shocked to find it, I was under the impression that stuff like that only happened during a fire.

Thanks for your anticipated input.

i thought burning wood was to save money. Unless you cant do the ladder thing, get a brush and the screw together rods and give it a try your self, its not a big deal. good luck

Sweep prices are now mostly above $100. I agree that it is expensive, but they have business at that price so it must be "market" pricing.

As far as glass, some stoves are manufacturers either with less than perfect mounting or someone tightens the clips too much, etc. - glass should almost never break if sized and mounted.

hey craig, im still wondering why people would want to hire a sweep. Like I said isnt everyone doing this to save on the heat bill?

RedOctober said:
Ha, you read my mind!

But, I thought I'd watch a pro first before I try it solo.

well thats cool, but its really very simple.

Webmaster,

I almost always take the glass off the door when I clean it. I guess I tightened the clip too much.

I used to leave the glass on the door but I cant clean it as well that way.

In any event I will not be taking it out again.

The pyro glass usually never breaks. Some companies warranty it for life because they know the only time it cracks is in the first firing of the new stove, which means it was a problem out of the factory. They have ways to determine by the kind of crack it is whether or not it was mechanical or if it was operators error. I've seen pictures of houses that have burned down with stoves in them and the glass is still intact sitting next to a melted wood stove.

Hanko said:
hey craig, im still wondering why people would want to hire a sweep. Like I said isnt everyone doing this to save on the heat bill?

Some folks are not as handy as others. Some folks scrounge wood, some get it delivered and some get it delivered and stacked - and they may very well all save money.

I would never get my flu and stove cleaned by a pro but others may just not have the skills or time or another reason.

Hanko said:

I'm obviously not Craig, but I'll give you my perspective. I'm 60 y/o, never have been really comfortable with heights, I have two woodstoves, and both buildings have tile roofs, which are a bit tricky to walk on. It's got nothing to do with capability, I'm more than capable of doing the job...it's got to do with how I want to spend my time, how comfortable I feel about doing it myself, and how willing I am to spend a reasonable amount of money to hire a professional to do it for me...so I'll hire a sweep to do the cleanings/inspections each year. We each have our own priorities. Rick

Ya, I don't like the height of my roof, and it's metal gambrel. The sides are too steep, the peak is really high and I'm not comfy climbing up there. I may try the bottom-up method.

$130 is probably around what you would pay to have any heating or cooling source serviced and inspected each year. And the HVAC guy doesn't have to climb up on a roof.

And a chimney sweep can't rip you off for Freon he really didn't add or a nozzle he really didn't replace.

BrotherBart said:
$130 is probably around what you would pay to have any heating or cooling source serviced and inspected each year.

Excellent point, and one that hadn't even occured to me. In Virginia we had two NG forced air furnaces, each with its own A/C system. Annual inspection/cleaning/maintenance/repair ran me well over what I'm going to pay for a sweep and a guy to check out our rarely used electric forced air system here in Oregon. Thanks for the memories, BB. :) Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
$130 is probably around what you would pay to have any heating or cooling source serviced and inspected each year.

Excellent point, and one that hadn't even occured to me. In Virginia we had two NG forced air furnaces, each with its own A/C system. Annual inspection/cleaning/maintenance/repair ran me well over what I'm going to pay for a sweep and a guy to check out our rarely used electric forced air system here in Oregon. Thanks for the memories, BB. :) Rick

My best friend lived in Alexandria, Virginia. After he had lived in the house 15 years the heat pump quit. A guy came out and fixed it and told him that he really should have it serviced every year. Joe asked him how much annual service was and how much the repair bill was and the guy told him $325 for the repair and $100 was the charge for annual servicing. Joe told him that it looked like he was $1,175 ahead doing it his way.

RedOctober;
I also got a quote of $120-130 when my newer stove was installed 2 yrs old here in TN. Prices sounds about right. I didn't take them up on it. I have been doing it myself. However if I couldn't find the time, I would consider hiring it out.

Hanko said:

I did mine last year...NOT fun. I had to drag a ladder to get on the roof, then drag another ladder up to get to the top of the chimney! Needless to say, it wasn't the safest. I'm not keen on heights either so I'm going to eat the $100 and drink beer and watch from the ground nice and safe!

Backroads said:
Hanko said:

I did mine last year...NOT fun. I had to drag a ladder to get on the roof, then drag another ladder up to get to the top of the chimney! Needless to say, it wasn't the safest. I'm not keen on heights either so I'm going to eat the $100 and drink beer and watch from the ground nice and safe!

Same thing here, got to drag another ladder on to the roof as I go. And I`m about the same age as Fossil and BB, AND don`t like heights. Did mine once last year and now it`s back to my regular sweep guy. Heck, I`m still saving well over 2 grand a year by heating with mostly wood that is delivered CSD or in rounds.

Our house is only a single story rambler (with full basement). The roof pitch is not very steep. The chimney only sticks up about 3-1/2 feet. I plan to sweep it myself. If I had a multi story house, high chimney extension, slippery shingles (tile) etc. I'd gladly pay a pro to do it.

BrotherBart said:
...My best friend lived in Alexandria, Virginia. After he had lived in the house 15 years the heat pump quit. A guy came out and fixed it and told him that he really should have it serviced every year. Joe asked him how much annual service was and how much the repair bill was and the guy told him $325 for the repair and $100 was the charge for annual servicing. Joe told him that it looked like he was $1,175 ahead doing it his way.

Yeah, I wasn't exactly anal about having my HVAC equipment serviced regularly, never signed up for any of those service contracts, and did have to pay for repairs a couple of times...but I have a different attitude about deferred maintenance on that kind of equipment than I do of my woodstove exhaust systems. I think I'll treat these a bit more attentively. Rick

Cluttermagnet said:
Our house is only a single story rambler (with full basement). The roof pitch is not very steep. The chimney only sticks up about 3-1/2 feet. I plan to sweep it myself.

Yup, if my setup were configured like that, I'd already have the brushes in my tool rack. Rick

I'm afraid of heights no way am getting up there!
I hire a certified sweep every year, it costs 150.00 which my landlord reimburses me for.
Seems to be the going rate for a certified sweep around here.
The same rate I payed every year for my oil burner service plan 4 years ago.

UGG UGG, I'm a manly man, I do mine myself. And drag the step ladder up on the roof to reach the top of the chimney ;)
In a few more years or after I fall, whichever is first, I might pay someone. But for now I am capable. And lost the fear of heights many years ago about the time I did my first roofing job.
Thats a was a scary day. Skidmark city ;)

CTwoodburner said:
Hanko said:

Some folks are not as handy as others. Some folks scrounge wood, some get it delivered and some get it delivered and stacked - and they may very well all save money.

I would never get my flu and stove cleaned by a pro but others may just not have the skills or time or another reason.

Very true. I got into this thinking that I would have to get log lengths delivered to save money. I am buying wood at $150-175 CSD, with plenty of people willing to deliver. Why bother with logs at $80 per cord? If I ever actually have to pay $250-300/ cord, then I will start processing myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.