Chimney sweep rates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodslinger

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
southern ill
Called the chimney sweep today to setup a visit and check to make sure everything is in working order. He's NFI certified and is charging $147 for the visit. I was told they check everything, chimney, stove, etc. I thought $147 was reasonable. This is my first experience with a chimney sweep so I have nothing to compare it to. Is this a reasonble rate. I am going to hit him up with questions on proper maintenance so I can learn as much as I can.

Thats not so bad. I would expect they would clean the chimney for that price if it needed it? We charge $130 to do a clean and inspect. Sometimes 100 bucks if it's a really easy roof and just a standard fireplace. Good move going with an NFI Certified guy

$150 for the first here

I pay $130 for the chimney cleaning and stove pipe cleaning. The guy is certified and also checks the stove out.

Just yesterday, I had my chimney inspected along with the firebox and smoke chamber, of course. I had the insert removed(slammer) and had previously swept the flue and cleaned the smoke chamber rather well. He was there to mainly inspect the firebrick and mortor and the unusually slow transgression of the smoke chamber down to the flue size. He gave me invaluable insight into the construction of my unit and the list of questions and answers went on and on. He must have spent 50 minutes talking everything from A to Z in regards to wood burning. Upon mentioning, freestanding, the first words out of his mouth was "hearthstone", though he burns an Ranier, wishing it was an Olympic. It was the most enjoyable 85$ i`ve spent in a long time, and could have only been better if we had a couple cold ones and a big pile of wood to split. I felt the whole time as though i was talking face to face with some of the more experienced members here on the forum! He left saying that i knew more than most the sweeps in the area, and i was quick to point out that book smart was a long way from experience and application, which were the source`s of his knowledge. He left, and i felt as though i had made a friend. There`s no e-mail adress or web page on his condition report, however i do have his tely. Just a country boy from the sticks, who can Proudly call himself a "SWEEP"

thanks Paul,,until next time

Status
Not open for further replies.