Chimney Sweeping Logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
Does anyone use Chimney Sweeping Logs through their wood boiler. Can they be used in a gasser? What do you guys think of them?

http://www.cleanyourchimney.com/

With my Tarm part of cleaning is removing caught fly ash in the heat exchange pipes + turbulators so there is better transfer to water jacket. I find that there is more dust material than anything else. As far as my chimney goes I brush it 2 or 3 times a year and I don't really find much build-up.
That said, I'm not sure that chimney logs would do much. Isn't there purpose to disintegrate creosote buildup ? The only place I see creosote is in the fire box and that never amounts to anything with well seasoned wood.

Rob

Ya, the pipes in my boiler are really clean. A little ash that gets swept out each week with the cleaning tool, then empty the ash collector off the ash cyclone and the Wood Gun is clean. Pretty nice. I just wondered if anyone used them, weather it be in a regular wood burning boiler or in a gasser. With my wood stove I usually had my chimney cleaned once a year. As long as I kept my fires at a good temperature with wood that was seasoned fairly well I never got much build up in the chimney. Now that I have switched over to the Gasser I am curious as to how the change will effect my chimney. We shall see.

I think that I'd leave them for the fireplace guys to use. Not for your 'Gun. Do you have a masonry chimney, and how long of a "run" is it to the outside?

711mhw said:
Do you have a masonry chimney, and how long of a "run" is it to the outside?

Nope. S.S. Double wall insulated chimney pipe through the wall and up over the top of the house. "Run" to the outside is only about 8 feet to the insulated pipe just before it goes through the wall. About 27 feet up over the peak of the roof with the S.S. insulated pipe. Everything is working great, just curious if it would benefit to run one of these or not. Seems like with the force of the fan on the Guns it probably wouldn't even have the time to do anything to the inside of the chimney. I don't think much has time to take hold, so there probably isn't much for creosote either.

Maybe if your unit idles a lot otherwise the gasification process burns the stuff creosote is made of long before it gets to the chimney. Use your money to get far enough ahead on your wood supply so all you burn is really well seasoned stuff.

Cave2k said:
Maybe if your unit idles a lot otherwise the gasification process burns the stuff creosote is made of long before it gets to the chimney. Use your money to get far enough ahead on your wood supply so all you burn is really well seasoned stuff.

Thanks for the advice. That is good, sound advice. I have 13 face cord of cord wood(Ash and Pine) all c/s/s for next year. And now another 15 face cord of Pine slab wood from the Amish, all stacked for next year..The pile groweth! :ahhh: Sometime when I have time in the day light to get some pics of the completed piles and I will post them in the Wood Shed.

I would bet that all you need to clean is your 8' horiz. run. My set up is very short and I cleaned it once. at the end of the season. No creosote, only a fine dusty layer under 1" deep. This was on the horiz. run, through the wall (5'), that's it for me, no vert. pipe at all. AHS kinda suggests "cleanout tees" at direction changes, and if you have one on each end of your horiz run it should be easy to clean of inspect. If you have a tee where you turn to go vertical, with the plug at the bottom position, you should be able to look right up to the top to inspect it. You might even try leaving that plug out and see if the heavier stuff that makes it past the cyclone just drops to the ground (keep smokey the bear in mind) and the smoke continues up.

Status
Not open for further replies.