chimney sweeping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abracadabra

Apr 9, 2012
Folks-

I'm getting pretty in to using my woodstove and can already tell I'm gonna wanna do my own maintenance. I've found the flue brushes are rods are easily found and I'm not afraid to get up on the roof to access my chimney.

My question is about my stovepipe arrangement. Now usually when I read about people sweeping the chimney the do it from the top and then the creosote that is dislodged is removed from the stove below.

In my case I have a stovepipe setup that has two bends coming out of the chimney (which is lined by the way) and also there are 2 stovepipe dampers in the pipe (which I keep wide open)

So obviously no chimney brush is going to make it past those dampers, do I need to disconnect the stovepipe each time I sweep so I can get the creosote that is removed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mark in Freedom Maine

Yep. A disadvantage with key dampers. You would likely have to take the stovepipe apart to get through the elbows, anyway. What is your setup like that you need two? Or one?

Welcome to the forum Mark.

Are those dampers really needed? Most stoves today don't need them and only if you have a really strong draft should you need even one. Also you might find a sooteater may do good with the bends in the pipe. Folks on here have given it great reviews.

It sounds like the stove pipe dampers are in black stove pipe? If so, and you don't use them, how about just replacing that piece of stove pipe w/ a new piece and toss the dampers?

Status
Not open for further replies.