chimney too hot???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenergrass

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2006
Hello all, I read often but post little. Anyways, my stove is the infamous non cat dutchwest. I don't seem to have any issues with getting the rumble going. My chimney is a Class A double wall insulated. It runs through the wall and up in my garage. When I lay my hand on the chimney in the garage I can keep it there for about 2 seconds. Is this normal or is it to hot? I do not have a thermometer to see what the temp is. My local chimney sweep said it "should" be fine.

For the price, an under $25 investment in a flue thermometer is a good thing. Given the nature of these stoves I would want a thermometer on the stove and on the flue, about 18" above the stove. You may be fine, but it will let you know how things are working. Long term running at over 1000 degrees in the flue is a possibility here and not a good thing. It's easy to have serious conditions and not know about it.

As Metal answered before, this is not too hot. I think he said the outside temp of a metal HT chimney can be way up there - like 400 degrees or something....yours is below 200 degrees.

Metal is mentioning the fact that such a chimney is usually not exposed in a place where debris or stuff can accidentally be leaned against it, then again the equiv. masonry chimney would normally be exposed in a garage setting, and no chase is required around that. I think you have to look at your instructions and the listing of the chimney (and it seems that Metal might already know what that says, being as he works at a metal chimney maker!).

Status
Not open for further replies.