Chimney too short for PE Super insert...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisu

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2010
Chittenden, VT
We are planning on buying a fireplace insert and have our eyes set on the PE Super. Unfortunately, our chimney is rather short - just about 11 to 12 ft instead of the 15 ft recommended by PE. The dealer is concerned about this and may not warrant the installation, which is a big reason why we want to have it professionally installed in the first place. I have searched in older threads and found the extend a flue option (http://www.extendaflue.com/index.html), which is not really cheap either and may not be quit long enough. I doubt I will get a qualified mason for adding some bricks within a week or two before the roof may be covered in snow. Are there any other options? Maybe a provisional fix with an insulated pipe until I can address the problem during next summer more properly? Or is someone using the PE Super successfully with a short chimney? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• chimney1 Kopie.jpg
    chimney1 Kopie.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 207
Most Class A chimney manufacturers offer an adapter plate,
which allows you to connect the 6" SS liner to their chimney.
It can be attached to the flue tile or the mudcap & will require
an extended roof brace kit for security & safety reasons.
The whole thing may add $500 +/- to the installation,
but you'll meet the chimney height requirements.
If it were my house, I'd install it without modifications to the
chimney & see how it performs.
The adapter plate & Class A can be added later, if required.
Tell the installer that you will sign a waiver that you know there
may be performance shortfalls. That should cover BOTH your butts.
He should still warranty his installation against leaks or for safety issues.
If he doesn't, PM me. The company I work for can install in VT.

Thanks for the suggestion and offer. I was actually not complaining about the dealer. He is certainly trying to not sell me anything I would not be happy with. In fact, it is the only one who mentioned that there may be a problem with the short chimney! So far, we have talked only at the phone but we will go over tomorrow to discuss our options. I was thinking of just installing the PE and then see how it performs. We'll see what the dealer (and maybe my insurance) thinks of that. We do not want to miss the tax credit but could live without using the insert for this winter and fix the chimney properly next summer. I just was not prepared that the whole process could turn suddenly so complicated. Oh my, once I sit in my cozy living room looking at the flames I will quickly forget all the trouble. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.