1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    Looking to put a new woodstove in..thinking about a pre-fab triple wall chimney for the stove..Any thoughts on this compared to a cement block style? Should I box the chimney in for extra insulation and what is the easiest way to clean it

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    I would put a pre fab double wall chimney in. If your going to have alot of chimney exposed to the outside you might consider a insulated chase to enclose it. There are lots of brands out there. Check out simpson duravent, metal fab, selkirk metalbestos, amerivent, security chimney. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head.
  3. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    should I leave it up to an installer or could I tackle it myself being relatively handy but never putting one up?
  4. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Yes, if you can frame, and twist lock pipe together you can do it. You have to pay real close attention to clearances, overall chimney hight, minumium elbows, keep as much of the chimney in the building envelope as possible, and most important, pull a permit.
  5. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    yeah I agree, I wil probably get an overall estimate and then go from there. I could probably do it but if its only gonna save me $100 then I would say the heck with it, my time is worth more than that with the 18month old!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.