Chimney's.. Michigan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo

Jun 17, 2008
middle mi
Hi Everyone... i know nothing about installing burner , but need to lower my heating cost, ive been givin soom great ideas here about what unit i should use. But need some wisdom on the chemney
Decided to put the stove in the basement , the house is a walkout ranch so im wondering if anyone knows if a metal chemney double wall has to be inclosed and if it has to go through the over hang or can you take it out far enought to just bypass it and go up 3 ft. thanks you guys are great, jimbo

You probably could run it out enough to clear the overhang but it would look funny and would need supports back to the house to steady it. In the future you will want to enclose it for better heat retention and looks.

We have tried to heat our ranch house from a walk out basement but it didn't work very well. The basement is a heat sink, especially if it is uninsulated or partially insulated. Ours took all the heat from the stove and we didn't get enough upstairs to make it comfortable.

Make sure your insurance company will approve your wood stove installation so you are covered. If financed and the insurance company cancels you there will be big problems with the finance company.

Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck with your installation.

thans Carl will do before i do anything... they know i have the fireplace so i figured it was no big deal.. so thanks alot..

Good Day everyone, Checked with my Ins Company (state farm) and they said to install any kind of wood burner i wanted, my ins would go up $30.00 a yr ,so im good there.
The chemney will cost around 1200 to 1400 class A approx 15 ft, and the county inspector said that is what he could get the parts for me. the basement isnt finash but is insulated. So do you think an add on furnace or a good stove with a blower. i only have around $2200 to $2500 to invest. (includes the chemney)
thanks all Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.