China is putting the brakes on the EV industry build out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Interesting development.

Seems like US and EU actions are effecting their EV industry. I think this was predictable. Now where I would be concerned is is you see BYD and Tesla Exports from China dropping.

And in general who hasn’t scaled back new EV projects. Tesla even is slowing down giga Mexico.

Volvo (Geely) seems to be ramping up EVs.

Volvo (Geely) seems to be ramping up EVs.
True and the EX30 seems to be a hit but it’s too small to make it best seller in the US market. They have delayed several models too.

We could argue GM and Ford are still in the ramping phase but judging by the number of MachEs on my local dealer sales and manufacturing ramps are in different directions.

True and the EX30 seems to be a hit but it’s too small to make it best seller in the US market. They have delayed several models too.

We could argue GM and Ford are still in the ramping phase but judging by the number of MachEs on my local dealer sales and manufacturing ramps are in different directions.
I looked at the EX30 yesterday and like the size, but not the interior design. We won't own a car with everything on an iPad. I think Volvo announced a larger version too and a luxury minivan EV.
FYI, Ford announced it's cutting back Lightning production too.

It will be interesting to see what this news means.

I think the Chinese economy is struggling at the moment, so maybe this is more of a cost containment for incentives, which must have exploded in the last couple years.

I looked at the EX30 yesterday and like the size, but not the interior design. We won't own a car with everything on an iPad. I think Volvo announced a larger version too and a luxury minivan EV.
FYI, Ford announced it's cutting back Lightning production too.
Ford is going to get a cost analysis paper on the cyber truck tear down soon and have numbers to go with gut feelings.

Cars as rolling iPads are here. You will pay more for buttons. And I’m sure someone will make the opposite of a Tesla interior. Sitting in a Model 3 is new. My mom at 5’1” absolutely loves it. It’s the first car she’s ever driven she didn’t feel short in. She gets to look down on to the dash. It’s a pain to learn all the new menus where everything is. And I’m glad she’s doing now at 72 and not 77.

I think Vinfast has delayed some production too. Glad N.C. gave them all the tax breaks To make vehicles that all reviews have been terrible.
It will be interesting to see what this news means.

I think the Chinese economy is struggling at the moment, so maybe this is more of a cost containment for incentives, which must have exploded in the last couple years.
Isn’t their birth rate back down too? All in all I don’t think it’s very concerning. Major OEMs needing batteries from China probably have had contracts in place covering at last 12 months into the future. I think where is will be felt is new start ups in China.

Cars as rolling iPads are here. You will pay more for buttons. And I’m sure someone will make the opposite of a Tesla interior. Sitting in a Model 3 is new. My mom at 5’1” absolutely loves it. It’s the first car she’s ever driven she didn’t feel short in. She gets to look down on to the dash. It’s a pain to learn all the new menus where everything is. And I’m glad she’s doing now at 72 and not 77.
Different strokes. My wife is anti-tech and never reads a manual. The requirement to use an iPad for car functions is the definition of distracted driving. I don't like taking my eyes off the road in heavy traffic or in bad weather conditions. Chevy tried this out with the capacitance touch controls in the first Volt and owners griped so much that they went to analog controls for hvac functions. Several other car companies also took notice. Personally, I think there will eventually be some lawsuits for accidents caused by having to take one's eyes off the road to operate the car.

Reactions: Dieselhead
the EX30 seems to be a hit but it’s too small to make it best seller in the US market
It's exactly the size car I would consdider would I have to replace my Bolt today. Everything else is 50% heavier and larger (I don't need bigger) and less kWh efficient.

I too dislike a touch screen for everything. I've read this was done for cost reasons on the EX30. IF there was no choice in this size vehicle, I would accept it, but it is not my preference. The Bolt touch screen is particularly annoying for having a 3 second lag from pressing a button to something happening on the screen, which is distracting. If there were zero lag between touch and update, I would have less issues with everything on a touch screen. Maybe newer cars are better.

I too dislike a touch screen for everything. I've read this was done for cost reasons on the EX30. IF there was no choice in this size vehicle, I would accept it, but it is not my preference. The Bolt touch screen is particularly annoying for having a 3 second lag from pressing a button to something happening on the screen, which is distracting. If there were zero lag between touch and update, I would have less issues with everything on a touch screen. Maybe newer cars are better.

The touch screen on the 2022 Bolt is much better. But I still like the physical buttons underneath.

[China]
Isn’t their birth rate back down too? All in all I don’t think it’s very concerning. Major OEMs needing batteries from China probably have had contracts in place covering at last 12 months into the future. I think where is will be felt is new start ups in China.

I'm not apocalyptic about either the population decrease, their economic problems or their military ambitions. At all.

I think they will muddle through, in their own unique way, and not get into military adventures. I see them as more likely to seize their contested lands from Russia than to attack Taiwan.

But I can see them cutting incentives that have grown very large.

[China]

I'm not apocalyptic about either the population decrease, their economic problems or their military ambitions. At all.

I think they will muddle through, in their own unique way, and not get into military adventures. I see them as more likely to seize their contested lands from Russia than to attack Taiwan.

But I can see them cutting incentives that have grown very large.
I’m not either. It’s just another factor in solving the economic puzzle.

Reactions: woodgeek
GM is actually using potential user confusion with touch screens to ban third party aps like Android Auto or the Apple equivalent. The only option is a google designed GM specific ap which will be mandatory for the car and after some short free period will require a monthly fee to keep working. I am not sure if the car bricks itself or just has very limited functionality if not renewed. Fords experiment with Windows designed Sync control screens did not go well and it was cited in many consumer surveys as a major quality defect. Luckily Android Auto could be used to get some functionality. I never even tried to use Sync.

The Chinese economy is far different than the US economy, the government really has little interest in protecting the population so many of the vehicles sold are not very safe or durable. People are desperate for transportation so they buy poorly designed EVs and if they dont work out they junk them. Reportedly there are many yards of dead EVs and electric scooters piled up that are not worth fixing or scrapping.

My guess is Vin Fast is not going to succeed in the US market, they reportedly are just suing anyone who gives them a less than good review in Vietnam and the government is backing them up. They right now are pushing an ultra low cost limited range mini SUV concept sort of like a modern version of the Suzuki Samurai when they first came out. Of course it may just be a modern Lada or Yugo with an EV drivetrain :eek:

GM is actually using potential user confusion with touch screens to ban third party aps like Android Auto or the Apple equivalent. The only option is a google designed GM specific ap which will be mandatory for the car and after some short free period will require a monthly fee to keep working. I am not sure if the car bricks itself or just has very limited functionality if not renewed. Fords experiment with Windows designed Sync control screens did not go well and it was cited in many consumer surveys as a major quality defect. Luckily Android Auto could be used to get some functionality. I never even tried to use Sync.

The Chinese economy is far different than the US economy, the government really has little interest in protecting the population so many of the vehicles sold are not very safe or durable. People are desperate for transportation so they buy poorly designed EVs and if they dont work out they junk them. Reportedly there are many yards of dead EVs and electric scooters piled up that are not worth fixing or scrapping.

My guess is Vin Fast is not going to succeed in the US market, they reportedly are just suing anyone who gives them a less than good review in Vietnam and the government is backing them up. They right now are pushing an ultra low cost limited range mini SUV concept sort of like a modern version of the Suzuki Samurai when they first came out. Of course it may just be a modern Lada or Yugo with an EV drivetrain :eek:

I wonder what Vinfast failing will cost the N.C. taxpayers?

I wonder what Vinfast failing will cost the N.C. taxpayers?
From the 2024 reviews it sounds like they have made several improvements based on user feedback.

I'm tempted to buy a model y. Would love for musk to cut prices again, although i do wonder if there is a limit to how low they can drop them before they start losing money?