Chinook for those who haven't seen it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
First off, I don't know if anyone remembers but I made my hearth slightly larger than what BKs manual said the minimum size should be. (length wise)
Only to find out I assumed the hearth was butted up against the wall. In the manual it's under the edge of the BK so I had to add about 2 1/2" more.
I ended up buying some more tiles and split them in to 4" strips and stuck them next to it. I'm using a $30 tile cutter, so I was dreading having to cut angles on tile and having it turn out ok. In the end it didn't turn out as awful as I was expecting honestly.
Here's a dry fit up of it... I'm actually letting the mortar sit in a bucket right now for the 10 mins before you apply it. Hopefully the stove will be installed this weekend. Giving the grout 4 days to dry before sealing. (grout is tomorrow!)

WP_000328.jpg

Here's the stove
You can even see the super cedar they supplied with it in there! :)

WP_000327.jpg

I hope it's okay with our BK dealer Franks, but I took a picture of his stove and I'll post it up for ya guys.
If you read this franks and don't like it, I'll take it down!
I just figure it's a waste of a post to not post some in action pictures.
Long story short, I ended up going to Franks after another dealer jerked me around. He fired up his display Chinook since he knew I was coming that day to pick up the stove.

WP_000289.jpg

The stove is burning on #2 setting (medium) at the time.

This stove, and one other pellet stove was burning at the time. Franks had a door to the shop open and boy let me tell you... it was HOT in there :p It was maybe 50 degrees or so out.
you can actually see the stove burning in the back i think.

Very nice! I think the hearth size issue could have been a blessing in disguise. I like the look with the extra trim pieces. I'm also very intrigued by the Chinook. I need to double the size of my house so I have to get another stove. Let us know how it works for you.

you are one of the few who actually have one. Please update us with regular reports on your experience with it.

Waulie said:
Very nice! I think the hearth size issue could have been a blessing in disguise. I like the look with the extra trim pieces. I'm also very intrigued by the Chinook. I need to double the size of my house so I have to get another stove. Let us know how it works for you.

thanks, I kind of like it as well. It looks nicer than it did before I think. Only problem I ran in to when laying down the tile a few moments ago is that since I had to run around the hearth with another 4" piece of cement board, the tiles aren't all nice and level to each other. I did the best I could, also trying to line up corners with keeping spacing even. We'll see how it looks after it's grouted :) I think it will end up looking fine.
I like your logic! Why replace a functional stove you already have, when you can just make your whole house bigger? :)

SmokeyCity said:
you are one of the few who actually have one. Please update us with regular reports on your experience with it.

I intend to.
When I was talking to the VP of BK, he said they have sold a large amount of these stoves and people have been loving it so far. Saying 30+ hour burns are common place.
I'll probably have an ongoing thread about it!

They claim 30 hours with a full load of softwood. A full load of softwood as per their specs is 40lbs. With a 2.75cu/ft firebox, I should be able to get in over 100lbs of oak pallets.
So if their thermostat is correct, and their 30 hour on 40lb of softwood is correct, I should be looking at ~90 hours of burn time crammed full of oak. Right? :p
In a dream world perhaps, but it has me intrigued to say the least. I have my scale ready, plenty of wood of all types VERY dry and ready to go. BK recommends 13% Moisture or less for optimal operation. Says so right in the manual :|

So let's put the claims to the test :)

The town finally approved my building permit last week, so I got that monday. Hopefully she'll be all set to go over the weekend provided I feel like cutting holes in my roof!
Currently I have no heat other than my stove (like the cooking type of stove, propane). I don't like to use it as heat since it's not vented or anything... but I can't stand a 50 degree house! :| So no heat = good motivation to get work done!

Status
Not open for further replies.