Chip on new stove, What to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qwert

Feb 14, 2011
MD
Newbie here. Just had a Jotul Rockland C550 installed and the face plate has a chip on it (see pic)! Darn! The installer says they will send out touch-up paint. Should I settle for this or demand a replacement plate? I'm concerned the porcelain could crack under high heat. The chip is on the plate, not the door or the trim panels, so getting the full brunt of the heat. Anyone else have an issue or applied touch-up paint to their insert? It's a fairly sizable chip and in the upper right corner, very visible. Thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• Jotul Chipped.jpg
    Jotul Chipped.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 278
I would say money talks. After paying good money for stove and install, I would expect to get what I paid for. That is a stove without a chip in it! Unless they are willing to knock a reasonable amount off of the purchase price, I would demand a new face plate.
Good luck

Qwert ( I didnt get that till i typed it out well played sir!) Who did your install? Was it Fireside?

Was the chip on it when they uncrated? Or did it happen while they were working on? I may be able to help you on this one.

They normally do so they dont have to cover it. The packaging on those is done very well to prevent this from happening, but from time to time it still does. Was it the Edge Water store or Glen Burnie? Ill give Matt or Tisha a call tomorrow and work out the details for you. If you could PM me your name so they know who I am talking about.
Tom

Very kind of you. Let me chat w/them first to see where it goes. Do you work with them? I didn't work with Matt or Tisha. Thanks!

Nope I am their Rep from Jotul. Let me know how you make out. I am happy to help in any way I can.

jotulguy said:
Nope I am their Rep from Jotul. Let me know how you make out. I am happy to help in any way I can.
That's the service I like to see.

Ah, hence "jotulguy". That makes sense. Duh!
This was esp frustrating 'cause I put the order in back in early November to get the tax rebate, but they didn't get the unit to me until today! I lost some serious coin on that, but they worked with me recognizing the situation, so I was mostly mollified. But then this happens... Doug said he gave me his best installers, and they seemed very capable, so I don't have reason to doubt them.

There was an amazing rush for the cash starting in October this year. I am sure its more our fault then theirs that they didnt have the unit. For the first time in a long time we had trouble keeping up with the demand this year.

I know, but there's more to it than that. I'd said I'd take the QF 5100 (no offense!) if they couldn't get the J by YE, since they had a 5100 in stock. Anyway, probably TMI. The unit is beautiful, but I'm nervous about firing it with the chip for fear it might crack the porcelain further. Should I wait until we resolve this, or can you get me a face plate quickly? :) Will I have to wait for the slow boat from Norway? Thanks!

I like Jotul, based on this customer service dialogue!

No worries with the face plate. Fire away! Im sure its chilly there to with the winds we are having. Contact them and let me know what they say. If they dont get you a new front I will get involved. On a side note that unit is 100% American made. The cast for the wood burning inserts is domestic now.

BTW, I am blown away that you're here and willing to chat and help me. It makes me feel much better about my choice on the Jotul. The guys were saying they're putting in 3 or 4 per week, so I'm sure you've been swamped. Thanks so much.

No problem at all. Thats the job when you are in customer service. You made a good choice on dealers too! Ace has a great reputation in that area and has been doing the work a long time. On behalf of all Jotulers, thanks for your purchase!

You're very welcome. Looking forward to many warm and glowing days/nights. I'll PM you with the outcome.
It's windy here, but hasn't gotten cold yet (darn!) They promised us 30's overnight, so there's hope. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.