Chipdrop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Espartaco

Dec 1, 2015
PDX
Don't want to keep the easy scrounging to myself, look into chipdrop.in. Here in PDX it connects arborist with people looking for wood chips. You can request wood chips to logs. Some logs I've gotten were all round cut 14-16 inches, one load was all logs 4-6 get in length. So far it has been all fir and cedar, does dry fast. Got roughly 2 cords this way. The arborist get to drop there loads for free versus paying to dump them...... Are we still doing phrasing?

Reactions: mwhitnee and fespo
http://abouttrees.com

Another site that does the same thing. They don't mention logs specifically but you could put it in the notes section I'm sure. I had a listing at one point and I was getting at least one woodchip load a week.

That's pretty cool. Thanks for passing along!

With chipdrop you can specify chips only, chips and logs, or logs only. The pickier you are the longer you may wait for a load. This past summer my wife and I have been cleaning the lot next to our house that we purchased and have had a dozen or so 15 yard truck fulls of chips. I'm reclaiming the lot from blackberries

Somebody in the Seattle area also advertises a service he calls "chipdrop" on Craigslist. He posts daily with locations specific to where he will have chips available, and says he keeps a list of interested parties.

I've responded twice over the past year with the information requested. He completely ignored me both times.

Yet he continues to post followup ads saying he has chips available in the same area, so it doesn't appear he's booked up. At this point, his ads are just annoying. This Portland service seems better organized.

Chipdrop.in

Here is the site I use. If tree services use chipdrop they find the closest person in the area. Sometimes I've had request filled in days, sometimes weeks. The Craigslist ads are hit and miss. Chipdrop is more of a waiting game. Big storm comes thru and I usually request logs, don't end up waiting too long.

I've seen the same ad on PDX Craigslist, haven't used it. The one time my wife contacted a similar ad, got chips almost immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.