Chminey Fire Alert by Vermont Technology Group

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epickard

Jan 9, 2008
PA
We have burned wood since 1979 and have a Chimney Fire Alert installed in our flue. It emits an audible alarm if the stack hits a set temperature.

I need to replace it, but can find it nowhere on the Internet; and even our chimney cleaning guy has never heard of such a thing. The alert has saved us many times from a fire going way beyond its intended limit.

I can't believe that such a product is not made today. Any help out there?

Thanks.

a few years ago i went into this fireplace/woodstove shop and they had a digital readout of the chimney and i think but not sure it had a alarm in it here is the web site of the store. these people at this store are very nice and willing to talk to even the non stove buying people.

http://www.stoveshop.com/stoves.htm

timholt said:
We have burned wood since 1979 and have a Chimney Fire Alert installed in our flue. It emits an audible alarm if the stack hits a set temperature.

I need to replace it, but can find it nowhere on the Internet; and even our chimney cleaning guy has never heard of such a thing. The alert has saved us many times from a fire going way beyond its intended limit.

I can't believe that such a product is not made today. Any help out there?

Thanks.

I think the unit you have is probably the same one I had when I lived in Santa Barbara. It was made by FASCA, Inc in Wisconson, and they went out of business in late 1995 or 1996. I'm also looking for a replacement. I moved to Northern California and left the one I had with the stove when we moved.

I'll be interested in what turns up.

Hello all, I have been lurking around here for a while, great site, very informative. I thought I would chime in and share some information on temperature alarms. My classic Fisher woodstove has temp alarm, like this one: http://www.imscompany.com/Public/Frameset1.htm
See item # 107722

It has a thermocouple that in inserted into the stovepipe and digital readout. There is a high and low audible alarm. When the temperature goes above the alarm set point the alarm will start beeping. It really comes in handy as my stove is in the basement so I am not always nearby. I sometimes burn pallets which as we know can easily lead to an over-fire condition. With the alarm you know right away and can quickly turn down the air control. I realize this alarm is somewhat pricy ($260) (I was fortunate to get mine for free).

I do think you could put one together for about half the price if you have some electrical skills. A basic temperature controller can be had for around $100, you would just need to add a thermocouple and piezo alarm and some wiring and put it all in a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.