1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Choice Made - ATTACK DPX

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Pologuy9906, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Pologuy9906

Pologuy9906 New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thank you all. I really took the advice in the forum and came to the conclusion that the Attack would be a solid choice. I tried to go the Vedolux route but that was unfortunately out of budget. Now I have to go through the approval with my town and updatemy insurance company.

On average what type of increase do you see with the insurance premiums? I also need to start sourcing the parts. Someone previously stated getting top quality parts and make sure the installer knows what he/she are doing.

Im waiting on pricing for Attack storage tanks. If they are too pricey I will look into repurposed 250-333 gallon propane tanks. I want my tanks standing tall rather than flat.

Thank you all again for your advice. Hopefully the system performs.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Port McNeill BC
    On the insurance question . To use wood as my primary source of heat I pay a 35% surcharge .
  3. arbutus

arbutus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan UP
    To have a wood burning appliance in the house added about $100 a year with USAA and about $75 a year with Auto Owners.

To have a wood burning appliance in a detached shed added $50 a year with Auto Owners.

This assumes a conventional "back up" heat source is in place.
  4. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    No premium for a wood boiler here. $25 dollar/year charge for a wood stove in the LR (which is burning the first fire this season tonight). Do your homework see if the insurance needs UL or ASME stamped boilers, some do some do not. The Attack is UL listed but not ASME stamped. Shop around for homeowners insurance if some give you a hard time.

I got around the "conventional backup" thing by installing some electric baseboard in the LR and boiler room as "my primary source of heat". Well it's only been on if we are away for a few bays in the winter.

TS
  5. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    when I had the wood burner in the house it was a $50.00 / yr insurance charge. With the boiler shed no insurance charge, the shed is not insured. So the $50 probably covers the property tax on the shed.