1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Choosing the "right" Stihl...I need a lesson in numbers!

Post in 'The Gear' started by avc8130, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    A 390 with an 18" bar is a nice firewood saw.
    A 361 with an 18" bar is like using a light saber.
    A 440 with an 18" bar is like dropping a 350 V8 on your lawn mower. Its cool, but overkill.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

And of course they don't make the 440 anymore . . .
  3. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification
    440 w/ 18" bar is the Binford 6100 of chainsaws.
    ac
  4. RNLA

RNLA Minister of Fire

Hi guys, Been watchin this thread, Congrats to the OP for his wise purchase of the 361. So in reference to the MS440 I have one ported and muffler mod with a 24" bar. That is as short as the dealer recomended. That was the dealer that set it up. 18" bar is asking to blow the motor, the saw needs to have enough bar to take advantage of the power. In other words you will over rev the motor on any saw if you put to short of bar on. Another thing you can do on some STIHL saws is get a drive sproket with 8 teeth, they come with 7. On a modified saw it seems to pull the chain better.
  5. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    or a simple carb adjustment to compensate
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Explain the 880 that stihl recommends a 21 in bar? I have ran a 16in. on my 460.
  7. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    I've come to the conclusion that a lot of chainsaw dealers are brain dead......... always amazed by some of the things they say. I'd trust a zit faced kid at Home Depot before some Stihl dealers.
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    +1 if thats what there saying I would bust out Laughing!
  9. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I picked a used 361 a while back. It is a beast. It came with a 20 inch bar and a semi-chisel skip tooth chain. It eats wood. Don't have much time on it yet but I can't stop smiling every time I use it. To all of those considering buying a 361/2, whatever you do, don't test drive the saw unless you are serious about buying it. You'll have a very had time using a lesser saw after running it.
  10. gerry100

gerry100 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY Capitol Region
    Speasking of dealers..

Stihl thinned out their dealer network a few years ago.

In my neighborhodd they dropped a knowledgable and helpful guy because he was too close to another one out here.

Could explain some dealer problems.
  11. RNLA

RNLA Minister of Fire

We have two good ones here in what used to be big timber country. I can think of a third who steps on peoples toes after 15 years of doing business at his store. STHIL dealers are either really good or the other way.
  12. Manatarms

Manatarms New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    What town was he in? Was he in a development?

-mark
  13. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lafayette.

Mcmansionville development.

ac
  14. loganj01

loganj01 New Member

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Stihl dealers here aren't that great either with the exception of one in Chatsworth. When I was in the market for a new saw last year, I tried to buy a Stihl. My dad had an 028 that ran for years and never gave him any trouble. I looked and priced and compared forever it seemed. I finally bought a Dolmar 7900 and haven't looked back. I got it for a couple of hundred less than the best price I found locally on a comparable size Stihl. Not knocking Stihl of course...they're great saws, but I think the Dolmar is a better value for the money. JMHO.
  15. Manatarms

Manatarms New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    Most of Lafayette is rural....right? I haven't been out there in a few years. Either way, putting one up in a McMansion is sure to get you stomped!

16. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The GOOD parts of Lafayette are rural. As with all parts of NJ, some farms were sold and converted to Mcmansions. I'm not gonna give up this guy's address, but hop on Google Maps and start out at the corner of Houses Corner and 15...head northwest.

ac