Choosing top load stove for 3 car garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrast

Jan 8, 2011
Michigan
My garage is 3 car (864 sq. ft.) I would like a top load wood stove something like Harmans TL300 but I think that would be overkill, I have insulated doors (1) 16x8 and (1) 9x8, 10' ceilings 2x4 walls with rolled insulation and blown in attic; the garage is pretty tight and easy to heat. I will eventually leave the entry door to the house open, except screen. Is there any smaller stoves anyone can recommend with a lot of these same features? Or will the TL300 tame down this low? I like the idea of the handle also moving the damper for the top load. I also would like a non cat. stove. Thank you

That 3 cu.ft. baby will be so overkill in a garage it's not even funny. Maybe a used VC Intrepid if you can find one in good shape? I think "BrowningBAR" on the site here is selling his for $299.95. %-P

Pretty sure it would be a town code, not state, there are some other Mich. hearth.com members who are "in the know" and will chime in....

If there are cars in the garage, and especially if the garage is attached to the residence i would opine that you would be taking some real risks.

Try googling nfpa: I found:
12.2.4 Solid fuel burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.
Additionally, 12.2.3 forbids installation anywhere gasoline or other flammable vapors may be present.

jrast said:
Is Michigans codes for wood stoves any place on the net?

Figure out who your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) is...could be the county building inspector, the local Fire Marshall, the Community Development Department...whoever. It may take a few phone calls. There's a national group of experts in the related fields known as the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). They publish and maintain a roomful of standards, but the one most applicable here is NFPA 211, which addresses solid fuel-burning appliances. What the NFPA publishes is not necessarily the law where you live. NFPA is not a government body, nor does it have any enforcement authority. But local jurisdictions across the country have widely adopted NFPA's recommendations into their local codes, which are the law. NFPA 211 says that solid fuel-burning appliances are not allowed in any garage. Do some homework about the requirements in your local area before you spend a lot of time, energy, and money on putting a woodburner in your garage. Rick

jrast said:
are pellet stoves then deemed "safe" for residential garages?

Not by NFPA...they're still "solid fuel-burning appliances". But, as I said, you really need to talk about all this with the local authorities where you live, because they might have requirements that depart from the NFPA recommendations. Rick

jrast said:
Is Michigans codes for wood stoves any place on the net?

You need to check with your local township to see if they have any codes in effect. Some do not have any codes at all for wood stoves but some do. You can check with the township clerk or supervisor and they can direct you to the inspector.

I would wonder whether your homeowners' insurance would like it, but I have no idea what an insurer would say, just wondering.

My insurance company (State Farm) told me it must be a detached garage.

Separate structure from the house FWIW.

Assuming you get permission, one requirement might be to elevate it on a pedestal which might negate the top loading. Check with the local code authority and your insurance co first. Find out requirements, then select a stove based on what works.

Whether or not your city or county has adopted codes or not, the fact that codes do not allow solid fuel burning appliances in a garage might be reason enough if you think about it. There are reasons the code does not allow it. Even a gas furnace must have its combustion chamber elevated to 18 in minimum off the floor in a garage unless it takes all combustion air from the outside (i. e. 90 + efficiency) Just would hate to see something bad happen just because no law prohibits you from doing it. Just food for thought. Be safe, Chief

BeGreen,

That's a really good suggestion!

Even LP or natural gas water heater or furnace must be at least 18" off the ground per code in most areas in Michigan now.

I know of a person I grew up with that had an unfortunate fire in their basement from fumes from a snow blower. Fortunately everyone got out of the house alright.

FYI: I ended up running a gas line to my garage machine shop as I didn't want any problems if there were a fire somehow.

tfdchief said:
Whether or not your city or county has adopted codes or not, the fact that codes do not allow solid fuel burning appliances in a garage might be reason enough if you think about it. There are reasons the code does not allow it. Even a gas furnace must have its combustion chamber elevated to 18 in minimum off the floor in a garage unless it takes all combustion air from the outside (i. e. 90 + efficiency) Just would hate to see something bad happen just because no law prohibits you from doing it. Just food for thought. Be safe, Chief

damn I need to type faster :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.