What Are My Options For Top-Loading, Large Ash Pan, Non-Catalytic Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DTop

Nov 5, 2023
Mackinac Island, MI
I have a Harman top-loading, non-catalytic stove in my current house that we really like. They are no-longer made. There's an arm on the side that opens the top, and when pushed the other way, closes the bypass door.

In looking for stoves for a new place I'm building, it looks like the former top-loader made by Quadrafire, the Isle Royal, is no longer made, nor is the Jotul Rangely.

Other than these models, it looks like the only name-brand top-loader available are several Vermont Castings models. Does anyone know of any stoves like the old Harman that is top-loading, non-cat, and has a pedestal instead of legs that holds a large ash pan?

Looking for something that is not "ultra-modern-looking" like some of the Jotuls.

Thanks in advance

I have a Harman top-loading, non-catalytic stove in my current house that we really like. They are no-longer made. There's an arm on the side that opens the top, and when pushed the other way, closes the bypass door.

In looking for stoves for a new place I'm building, it looks like the former top-loader made by Quadrafire, the Isle Royal, is no longer made, nor is the Jotul Rangely.

Other than these models, it looks like the only name-brand top-loader available are several Vermont Castings models. Does anyone know of any stoves like the old Harman that is top-loading, non-cat, and has a pedestal instead of legs that holds a large ash pan?

Looking for something that is not "ultra-modern-looking" like some of the Jotuls.

Thanks in advance
The only top loaders are Vermont castings.

Before we got our T6 I was strongly looking for a top-loader. I had a Resolute I many years ago and really liked the stove. Now I have a front loader and never think about it. Other requirements like clearances, ease of operation, and reliability took higher priority. If you are building a new place, make it tight and well-insulated. The stove requirements may end up being quite different.

Reactions: webby3650
Top loaders are very problematic. That’s why no one makes it anymore. Don’t worry about it. A side load door is a big plus, I’d go that route if it’s important to you.

Top loaders are very problematic. That’s why no one makes it anymore. Don’t worry about it. A side load door is a big plus, I’d go that route if it’s important to you.
I must have gotten lucky with mine. I noticed it got generally bad reviews but we love it. I like the top loaders because I can load without getting ash all over. My wife tends to open the front door to light a fire but ashes get everywhere. Do the exclusively front or side-loaders somehow get around this? Why is a side and front loader better than a top and front loader? Anything problematic about the Vermont Castings top loaders?

The combustion system is very parts heavy and expensive to replace. It’s not uncommon to see $1000 worth of repairs that need to happen on these.
The reason ashes go everywhere when you open your door and it doesn’t happen as often with other stoves it’s because you load for a long period of time through the top. Ash builds up against the doors and then falls out once the doors are open. With a traditional stove, you are opening the doors on a regular basis, and the ash doesn’t have a chance to build up there.

The issues with most VC stoves that are run in non-cat mode only are much the same as with the Oakwood. The combustion cycle is quite similar. The downsides are a more complex stove with more moving parts and a finicky burn in order to get the stove into downdraft mode and keep the afterburner burn happy. That said, there are folks who have the right draft strength, dry wood, and knowledge to burn in them. The other big issue is that they can be maintenance intensive, mainly due to the refractory package breakdown every 5 or so years. VC was taken over by HHT several years ago and that has helped improve the robustness of the refractory assembly, so now maybe one will get 10 yrs out of it? FWIW, HHT also owns Harman.

If this stove checks all the boxes for you, then it may be a good fit. There is the option to add a cat to tame the beast if the non-cat mode doesn't behave well. It would be good to ask VC specific questions of VC stove owners in the VC forum. They can provide more specifics on stove operation, maintenance, etc.

whatever you do, read as much as you can in these forums about each brand. Whatever you are interested in, do a search for it and see what others say. Like any group of opinions you will have the haters (like me) or the blind zealots of a brand. So you have to smooth out those posts to get a sense of what's best for you. There are some brands that seem to rise to the top if you read enough in here. Top of mind are blaze king and pacific energy. Jotul seems to be ok, but some people struggle with certain models. VC (the brand I have), I would steer away from if you want a set and forget stove (just my opinion based on one year of use).

Reactions: webby3650
Anything problematic about the Vermont Castings top loaders?
LOL... how much time you got? I wouldn't install a Vermont Castings stove in my house if it were free. Stay away!

I'm another top-loader convert, I had three of them prior to my current pair of stoves. And like you, I thought I'd really miss that feature, but I don't. It's a total non-issue, forgotten as easily as any other obsolete tech that disappeared without us noticing... like television consoles.

Moreover, most top loaders had to be loaded east-west, which is not very efficient, in most regards. A nice deep firebox and a nice big front door allows better packing efficiency and a more even burn, with north-south loading.

^ I would disagree with the above.
Vc stoves are not good for the occasional burn. They like to be hot, all the time. You need a good draft so don't install them in your basement. They are meant for the main great room in your home. Heat them up, build a bed of coals then put them into cruise mode.
I've had other stoves that were very simple to use and the VC stove take some learning.
I'm on year two of my VC dauntless and it's been running for 2 months straight without any shutting down.

Vc stoves are not good for the occasional burn. They like to be hot, all the time. You need a good draft so don't install them in your basement. They are meant for the main great room in your home. Heat them up, build a bed of coals then put them into cruise mode.
I've had other stoves that were very simple to use and the VC stove take some learning.
I'm on year two of my VC dauntless and it's been running for 2 months straight without any shutting down.
There are 10 posts above, most containing multiple statements on multiple different points. Exactly what are you disagreeing with?

VC is a company with a long track record of countless documented cases of screwing users out of legitimate warranty claims, on several stoves of absolutely terrible design, and with at least a few manufacturing issues compounding those terrible designs. Upon which of these aspects would you recommend them, over the several other brands of similar pricing, without all of these issues?

In the opposite corner, we have PE, BK, Woodstock, Hearthstone, Jotul, and many others with consistently better products and customer support. If you're already sunk into VC, and assuming you're lucky enough to have gotten one without issues, then burn it. But anyone shopping for a stove today would do well to steer their business away from VC, and toward these more reliable brands.

I'm a VC owner and never or rarely use the top load. For the chimney to be able to pull all the smoke up the flue with the top open, you need a hell of a draft that a lot of set ups won't have. They also tend to leak during operation if there isn't a strong enough negative pressure in the stove. Bottom line as has been said you won't miss it.

Reactions: Ashful
That is generally true with the non-cat VCs, but the cat equiped versions do better at moderate burns.