Buying a non-catalytic wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cboehm

Mar 20, 2024
North Dakota
I'm looking for a non-catalytic wood stove, want ash pan and blower. The ones I liked all went to catalytic. SO now am on the lookout again!!! Want one that is very efficient.

I'm looking for a non-catalytic wood stove, want ash pan and blower. The ones I liked all went to catalytic. SO now am on the lookout again!!! Want one that is very efficient.
Regency pacific energy and sbi all have non cats still

To get good advice, it would be useful to know what your goals are (full time or evening/weekend fires), how big your home is and the layout of it (stove in a small room with narrow hallways means you'll need a small stove otherwise you get cooked out).

How tall is your chimney? And is it safe (inspected, code)?

Do you have wood (split, stacked, covered, off the ground) stored already? Wood needs 2 years to dry to be suitable for a very efficient modern stove. Bought "seasoned" woodis never dry enough.