Free standing wood stove to cook on??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a drolet myriad. It has a 16" x 24 dead flat top area that you can cook on. I haven't cooked on it other than evaporating water. It would be easy to cook on it.

I cook most of my meals in the winter on my PE Summit. It has enough room for 2-4 pans/pots depending upon size. I can also cook on the coals when things settle down a bit. I picked up an antique tin oven that sits on top of the stove and I can bake stuff in--big enough for a standard pie tin. If you want an easy side dish, throw a large onion straight into the fire and let it go for 15-20 minutes. The outside layer will be burnt to a crisp, but inside the onion is perfectly cooked. I play around with injecting the onion with different seasoning mixes for flavor (though it is pretty good straight, with a little salt).

I cook most of my meals in the winter on my PE Summit. It has enough room for 2-4 pans/pots depending upon size. I can also cook on the coals when things settle down a bit. I picked up an antique tin oven that sits on top of the stove and I can bake stuff in--big enough for a standard pie tin. If you want an easy side dish, throw a large onion straight into the fire and let it go for 15-20 minutes. The outside layer will be burnt to a crisp, but inside the onion is perfectly cooked. I play around with injecting the onion with different seasoning mixes for flavor (though it is pretty good straight, with a little salt).
Can’t beat an onion topped and peeled, almost quartered, but still hanging on at the root, add a healthy tab of butter and a teaspoon of your favorite season salt like Tony’s or Slap Yo Mama… wrap in foil and bake, roast, grill, cook whatever method. Enjoy!!

Which model Summit is this?

Which model Summit is this?
I think it might be a LE. I bought it in 2015 in the middle of building my house. It was new--not sure which model was being sold then. It does have EBT. I picked this stove because it had a good surface area to cook on. I had a Quadrafire Cumberland Gap at my old place. With the top plate of cast iron removed I could cook some soup, but not much more. If the power goes out at my place, dinner is still at 5 PM.

Reactions: stovelark
Can’t beat an onion topped and peeled, almost quartered, but still hanging on at the root, add a healthy tab of butter and a teaspoon of your favorite season salt like Tony’s or Slap Yo Mama… wrap in foil and bake, roast, grill, cook whatever method. Enjoy!!
I keep a shaker of Slap Yo Mama next to the stove! Good stuff!!

Reactions: begreen
Cajun 2 Step is quickly displacing my Tony’s.

I think it might be a LE. I bought it in 2015 in the middle of building my house. It was new--not sure which model was being sold then. It does have EBT. I picked this stove because it had a good surface area to cook on. I had a Quadrafire Cumberland Gap at my old place. With the top plate of cast iron removed I could cook some soup, but not much more. If the power goes out at my place, dinner is still at 5 PM.
The LEs didn't start selling until 2019. What I meant is this a standard Summit or the Classic with the porcelain lid that has the trivet top?

Standard Summit Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 8.26.16 AM.png

Summit Classic Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 8.26.41 AM.png

Standard.
That's what I thought. It's the model I suggested. The OP seems fixated on the Classic, perhaps for the looks, but it's not the best for cooking on.

Cajun 2 Step is quickly displacing my Tony’s.
We needed to add a bit to an Amazon order. 2 step is on the way!

Reactions: 30WCF
That's what I thought. It's the model I suggested. The OP seems fixated on the Classic, perhaps for the looks, but it's not the best for cooking on.
I bought my stove with cooking in mind. I had a stove that was wrapped in cast iron before and had a hard time getting enough heat to the pans. There isn't much between the fire and the top of the stove in my summit, so it is hot enough to fry eggs in about 15 min.