Jotul vs Blaze King vs Vermont Castings Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hexa Fox

Sep 19, 2023
West Virginia
Hey guys,

I already made a post here and realize that I should have probably separated my posts rather than tried to glob it all together. So I am looking for a nice wood stove and so far I have been leaning toward one of these stoves with the cat system. I am not sold though so I am open at this time to other stoves. So I was originally very interested in the Blaze King Ashford 30.2 or Princess 32 models. That is until I called them to ask for clarification on the log lengths they would accept. They told me that both of these wood stoves have a recommended log length of 16" but they would squeeze closer to an 18" log into the firebox but that was not recommended. Even though I like their wood stoves this is a significant drawback for me personally.

So now I started looking into the Jotul F500 OSLO which has a very nice overall log length of 24". Most of my stuff is 20" and smaller but I do have some stuff that is 24" in my woodyard. So this stuff right out of the gate gets a win for that. I also like the idea of using longer logs in my fire, I think they burn longer not to mention that I can safely purchase or cut my own firewood longer. Having that said, a drawback of this stove was there does not seem to be a cat control which I both heard and read is extremely important on these stoves. Especially if you want to open it before the fire has burned down. So that is the drawback on this one for me. I also saw a forum that was saying Jotul is not very good for direct customer service and tries to only go through their dealers.

Finally I started looking at Vermont Castings Defiant wood stove and I am liking it more and more. It has everything the Blaze Kings including the cat bypass and a welcome log length of 20". It looks like it is slightly more expensive than either of the other two brands but that does not bother me too much. I also think the idea of being able to feed it from the top of the woodstove seems pretty cool to. Anyway I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys and see if you guys went through a similar decision and how it worked out? I would love to hear from you guys if you have any of these stoves and what you like or do not like about them. I also made another post like I mentioned where I am planning to install a chimney liner for this future stove purchase as well.

I would not let the wood length be the determining factor. The wood in your woodyard will be gone in a season. Just cut it in half to use it up. The Blaze King has the most reliable tech of all 3 mentioned. And N/S loading is preferable to a stove that only loads long logs E/W.

You might also take a look at the Regency 3500, Woodstock (ideal Steel & Progress Hybrid) and Kuma stoves.

I would not let the wood length be the determining factor. The wood in your woodyard will be gone in a season. Just cut it in half to use it up. The Blaze King has the most reliable tech of all 3 mentioned. And N/S loading is preferable to a stove that only loads long logs E/W.

You might also take a look at the Regency 3500, Woodstock (ideal Steel & Progress Hybrid) and Kuma stoves.
bholler may agree with you. I just started looking at Regency stoves because of his profile banner lol. I convinced myself that I was going with the VC or Jotul. I do appreciate the feedback, this is a major purchase and I obviously want to make the correct choice.

Last edited:
If your looking at vermont castings. I can say this. I have an encore and am happy with it. Its a great heater with a really good burn time. I purchased the stove knowing this. Your going to need to do a partial rebuild at some point and a full rebuild way down the road. Vermont Castings is slow with parts so knowing this its better if you dont wait until the last minute with the stuff you will need for maintenance. The story of the older stoves not being durable is true and the durability of the stoves are alot better now. I know a number of people in my area with this stove and all are pleased with the purchase.

BK and jotul stoves are really good stoves. I looked in to them when I was going to make my purchase.

If your going with VC just know.. its going to need parts down the road. My VC is my primary heat source and has been for years...

Reactions: Hexa Fox
The Woodstock Progress Hybrid and their Ideal Steel will load up to 22" splits. The PH is a side-loader.

The Woodstock Progress Hybrid and their Ideal Steel will load up to 22" splits. The PH is a side-loader.
I'm researching these two right now. They look really cool at first glance. Are these comparable in quality to the BK or Regency stoves? Also do they just freight the stove over to you?

Woodstock makes high-quality stoves backed by great customer support. They are only sold directly from the factory.

Reactions: Ashful and Hexa Fox
Woodstock makes high-quality stoves backed by great customer support. They are only sold directly from the factory.

I am seriously looking at the Ideal Steel model because I was not hoping to spend a small fortune on this upgrade right now. It would seem at first glance it is considerably cheaper than any other option I have looked at thus far. So I could do this without completely breaking the bank and hopefully have a very nice wood stove and setup.

Call them if you have questions. You will get a real person.

Describe the room where you're placing the stove, and a bit about the house.

Does your situation favor a radiant or convective stove?

How about stove sizing?

Describe the room where you're placing the stove, and a bit about the house.

Does your situation favor a radiant or convective stove?

How about stove sizing?
Call them if you have questions. You will get a real person.

So I just called Woodstock and we touched on this. I really like them because they don't seem to hold back or sugar coat anything. So the placement for my stove is going into a basement that is halfway underground. It is a split foyer. He said that I would need to make certain that whatever I do I make certain my exit pipe is very well insulated or none of the new woodstoves are going to suite me well. The house is also between 1,500 and 2,000 square feet. Woodstock also told me there was no immediate rush on my decision. They said it is always possible that they get a bunch of pre-orders and have no availability but he told me I definitely have time to decide right now.

The wood stove that we have now has always done a nice job of heating the whole house, even on very very cold below zero nights with the wind blowing. That is something that I really want to and need to maintain with whatever I get new.

Sorry for the mess but this is what things look like now. Hope this helps you guys picture more of what is going on. IMG_2048.jpegIMG_2050.jpegIMG_2052.jpeg

Woodstock has good people and a good reputation. The market will heat up quickly and lead times for stoves and installers will greatly increase soon. The heating season has started in northern parts of the country.

Are the basement walls insulated?

Woodstock has good people and a good reputation. The market will heat up quickly and lead times for stoves and installers will greatly increase soon. The heating season has started in northern parts of the country.

Are the basement walls insulated?
Yes, my father insulated the basement when he finished it.

That's good. I'd get the chimney work and liner done asap. The stove can be hooked up later if desired.

That's good. I'd get the chimney work and liner done asap. The stove can be hooked up later if desired.

Yeah I have three or four people coming to take a look and give me some advice and estimates. The problem is some of them are scheduling out far. One of them is coming tomorrow and the other is coming Wednesday of next week. The other two are about mid October. I am still hoping to install the liner myself, but I may be persuaded to allow a professional to handle it if I feel comfortable with it.

The 'major' drawback for the Ideal Steel is that the door opens from the left hand side. My firewood is stored to the right of my stove and I carry it in to the right. So it will create at least a small inconvenience for me. The Regency 3500 is the same way. So I am also considering the BK Princess 30.2 and the WS Progress again. This is going to be a decision that hopefully lasts me forever unless I move or something. So making the right decision first is stressful. I was also reading about Soapstone and forgot to ask WS about it. However, it would seem that they Soapstone slabs are better at absorbing heat which helps make them more efficient over time but less efficient at radiating overall heat.

When I am doing my research online I still see people talking about horror stories about not being able to get fires started in the catalytic stoves, not being able to keep it going and the probably worst for me, not putting off enough heat.

So you CAN still control the fire somewhat correct? Like if it is a very cold day, and my catalyst is engaged I can open the air up and get a hotter fire with the catalyst still engaged correct? I may just need to refuel a little more often?

Yes, a cat stove, or non-cat, can be run at a wide range of temperatures. The difference with the Princess is that it has a thermostatic air control to semi-automate this.
Ultimately, you the operator are the one in control. With a heat pump for primary heat, you may never need to run a fire low and slow.

Last edited:
Yes, a cat stove, or non-cat, can be run at a wide range of temperatures. The difference with the Princess is that it has a thermostatic air control to semi-automate this.
Ultimately, you the operator are the one in control. With a heat pump for primary heat, you may never need to run a fire low and slow.
I don't understand your last sentence. I don't have a heat pump, my primary heating source is going to be whatever wood stove I decide to go with.

I have been taking in as much information as possible about the Blaze Kings, specifically the Princess. It looks like most people are very satisfied with their purchase. I do see comments about it making a whistling noise that would probably drive me crazy if mine did it. I spend a lot of time in and around the room where this wood stove will be going. So that also concerns me. One user also said that one guy that experienced a catastrophic failure on a Princess did not have a damper and was leaving his door open too much. My chimney does not have a damper either and will be a straight shot outside. Not sure if that is the same or not.

Sorry, sounds like I crossed your posting with another. This is the risk of having multiple threads spreading the background info. Globbed together is ok.

Better clear this up first.

Straight shot through the wall? Through the ceiling?

Thermostat all the way if you’ll spend a lot of time in that room. You won’t be sorry.

The older you get the less you’re going to want to handle 20”-24” pieces of wood. They make for nice long burns, and sore joints over time. Ideally, 12”-16” pieces are nice as you get older…and make for nice 3-row cords of wood, or 4-row cords of wood…three ricks 16”x4’x8’ to a cord, or four ricks 12”x4’x8’ to a cord.

Last edited:
Better clear this up first.

Straight shot through the wall? Through the ceiling?

Thermostat all the way if you’ll spend a lot of time in that room. You won’t be sorry.

The older you get the less you’re going to want to handle 20”-24” pieces of wood. They make for nice long burns, and sore joints over time. Ideally, 12”-16” pieces are nice as you get older…and make for nice 3-row cords of wood, or 4-row cords of wood…three ricks 16”x4’x8’ to a cord, or four ricks 12”x4’x8’ to a cord.

Good idea, so in case you missed it you can refer to post #11 for a few pictures. So mine comes up off the current stove 2', then 90º into the wall, the space between the wall an chimney is just under 2' and the chimney then goes up about 17' from there. That is where I am planning a tee that will go up the rest of the 17' that will connect the rest of the stainless liner.

Good idea, so in case you missed it you can refer to post #11 for a few pictures. So mine comes up off the current stove 2', then 90º into the wall, the space between the wall an chimney is just under 2' and the chimney then goes up about 17' from there. That is where I am planning a tee that will go up the rest of the 17' that will connect the rest of the stainless liner.
Yeah, I looked right at it and missed it. I suppose because I was paying more attention to what was written in that post.

Yeah, I looked right at it and missed it. I suppose because I was paying more attention to what was written in that post.
It happens to me all the time. Usually when people are trying to help so it makes it look like I am not paying attention. Sometimes so many people post there is too much and I miss a post or something.

Take note of rear clearances of any stove you consider. A heat shield behind the stove and stove pipe can reduce clearances even further, but in some instances, for whatever reasons, people may not want to install a heat shield behind the stove.

I only mention that because the Woodstock stoves may need slightly more clearance if I recall correctly. Just be aware this is something you may want to pay attention to.I don’t for see anything with that install, nut you never know.