New Wood Stove and Chimney Liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hexa Fox

Sep 19, 2023
West Virginia
Hey guys,

I am new here and glad to be here. So for the past year or so I have been doing research and decided that I need to replace my wood stove. It is a Huntsman that is easily 35+ years old. So far I have been looking at units with cat systems. Specifically the Jotul F500 Oslo, Blaze King Princess or Ashford 30.2 and now even looking at stoves like the Vermont Castings Encore Flexburn. There are things I like and dislike about them all for instance, I have a lot of already cut firewood that is 20"+ and the Jotul mentioned can accommodate 24" logs but does not seem to have a cat bypass. Any feedback here would be good too, as I am not fully sold on a cat stove.

I also talked to someone from the Northline express website that sells Chimney liners. I am completely new to adding liners and was told that it would probably be a good decision regardless. Anyway she asked me to send some pictures and measurements over to their email and I already did. Hoping to be able to install the liner myself. I think I am leaning toward the "smooth" double wall one that will last longer and be easier to clean. Anyone else do this install themselves? Is it pretty straight forward?

If I had a question it would be am I going to have any kind of trouble getting fires going or keeping them going from what I am used to? I see so many horror stories, especially with new stoves and liners like having to replace cats, chimney liners and even stuff like having trouble with the fires. I realize with time one can learn all this stuff and doing it properly will produce great results. Having this in mind, I am looking at jumping into a stove with a cat system and installing a new liner all at once and I imagine it is going to be a considerable change for me. I am hoping it will be for the better. Just having that said, I want to cover my bases and avoid a horrible mistake and possibly freezing to death this Winter if I can. 😂

Another thing was my chimney flue seems to be perfectly straight and have no neck and very little or also no damper. I stuck a measuring tape in from the top and it easily made it to the very bottom where the ash cleanout is. By the way this outlet port between the wood stove pipe and chimney is like this every single year. I also have not had this chimney inspected in a very long time.

IMG_2052.jpegIMG_2049.jpegIMG_2050.jpegIMG_2051.jpegIMG_2048.jpeg

Ok a few things I see from your pics.
1. Your clay liner has a crack directly across from crock. On the left side. That means you need a liner.
2. You badly need a new crown ontop of the chimney
3. You will most likely need an oval liner inorder to fit insulation in your chimney.

Now as far as the liner type the 2 ply smooth wall stuff is absolutely the least durable option on the market. Go with midweight or heavy wall liner if you want an upgrade from the standard light wall. The 2 ply is a downgrade

Reactions: BKVP and Hexa Fox
Ok a few things I see from your pics.
1. Your clay liner has a crack directly across from crock. On the left side. That means you need a liner.
2. You badly need a new crown ontop of the chimney
3. You will most likely need an oval liner inorder to fit insulation in your chimney.

Now as far as the liner type the 2 ply smooth wall stuff is absolutely the least durable option on the market. Go with midweight or heavy wall liner if you want an upgrade from the standard light wall. The 2 ply is a downgrade

1. You mean the visible crack near the top? It is slightly to the left. I wondered about it but it did not alarm me.

This is why I posted here, trying to learn. So what little I have researched I thought the double wall, smooth inside was the top of the line stuff? I realize this video is from over a decade ago but he recommended the double wall, smooth inside.

I am trying to find YouTube videos to shows how to install liners now. So far I have only seen ones that come down into a fireplace that makes it very simple. I am not going to have that luxury by any means. I am guessing things like the "T" connection are going to have to go down into the chimney at least partly assembled.

1. You mean the visible crack near the top? It is slightly to the left. I wondered about it but it did not alarm me.

This is why I posted here, trying to learn. So what little I have researched I thought the double wall, smooth inside was the top of the line stuff? I realize this video is from over a decade ago but he recommended the double wall, smooth inside.

I am trying to find YouTube videos to shows how to install liners now. So far I have only seen ones that come down into a fireplace that makes it very simple. I am not going to have that luxury by any means. I am guessing things like the "T" connection are going to have to go down into the chimney at least partly assembled.

Yes that is the crack I am referring to. And seeing one there I can pretty much guarantee that there are more.

The 2 ply stuff is sold as top of the line by some companies. But in reality it really isn't durable at all.

And yes you will need to attach a tee body to the liner actually 2 in your case one for the thimble and one for the cleanout. A snout then slides through and attaches to it. And don't forget you want an insulated liner not just a bare stainless liner

Reactions: Hexa Fox
The tee body gets attached to the liner. The snout is put through the thimble.

The tee body gets attached to the liner. The snout is put through the thimble.
Yes that is the crack I am referring to. And seeing one there I can pretty much guarantee that there are more.

The 2 ply stuff is sold as top of the line by some companies. But in reality it really isn't durable at all.

And yes you will need to attach a tee body to the liner actually 2 in your case one for the thimble and one for the cleanout. A snout then slides through and attaches to it. And don't forget you want an insulated liner not just a bare stainless liner
Thank you gentlemen I appreciate the help! Also I measured my flue today and it is 11" x 6.75". That means I may be able to fit the 6" liner even with the insulation correct?

Thank you gentlemen I appreciate the help! Also I measured my flue today and it is 11" x 6.75". That means I may be able to fit the 6" liner even with the insulation correct?
Nope you need about 7.25" minimum fit an insulated liner it needs to be oval

Something like this maybe?

That is a prefab chimney kit. It is a chimney on its own not meant to go inside a chimney

That is a prefab chimney kit. It is a chimney on its own not meant to go inside a chimney
Sorry about that, I accidentally sent that link and did not double check it. I was looking at this. I did a search for oval and this came up but it does not say anything about being oval in the description. I cannot tell by the pictures either.

Sorry about that, I accidentally sent that link and did not double check it. I was looking at this. I did a search for oval and this came up but it does not say anything about being oval in the description. I cannot tell by the pictures either.
It is not oval and it's the 2 ply stuff that can't be ovalized anyway

It is not oval and it's the 2 ply stuff that can't be ovalized anyway
Yeah I am just trying to get an idea. I found this site, has oval. I figured everything else out but the very first option where you choose how big the oval is going to be. I guess you can make it larger to take up more space on the 11" side to allow air to move more freely?

Another concern I have is how I am going to clean the oval. I was looking at 'oval cleaning brushes' lol.

Yeah I am just trying to get an idea. I found this site, has oval. I figured everything else out but the very first option where you choose how big the oval is going to be. I guess you can make it larger to take up more space on the 11" side to allow air to move more freely?

Another concern I have is how I am going to clean the oval. I was looking at 'oval cleaning brushes' lol.
When you ovalize pipe it looses volume so they need to start with a 6.5 or 7" round to maintain volume depending upon how much they ovalize. And you just use a rotary cleaner to clean ovals

When you ovalize pipe it looses volume so they need to start with a 6.5 or 7" round to maintain volume depending upon how much they ovalize. And you just use a rotary cleaner to clean ovals
So I just realized that I did not post the website I referenced in my previous post. Sorry about that.
Having that said, the measurements there are after they ovalize it right? So in theory I may be able to go with something like the 5" x 8.15" to allow for the airflow you lose by crushing it down on the other side. Then after that you just wrap that in the insulation?

Can someone tell me how likely it is to make a transition like this and run into problems? I realize problems can arise from anything but want to make sure I fully understand what I am getting into. For me this is going to be a considerable transition to say the least. How likely is it after I get all this stuff installed that I will run into major issues, like not being able to start or keep fires going? My only other alternative is electric baseboard heat so I definitely rely on my wood stove setup, especially during the Winter months.

Can someone tell me how likely it is to make a transition like this and run into problems? I realize problems can arise from anything but want to make sure I fully understand what I am getting into. For me this is going to be a considerable transition to say the least. How likely is it after I get all this stuff installed that I will run into major issues, like not being able to start or keep fires going? My only other alternative is electric baseboard heat so I definitely rely on my wood stove setup, especially during the Winter months.
If installed properly and if you have good dry fuel in a good stove it will work. I would stay away from that jotul and the vc. They are definitely more temperamental than most other stuff on the market

If installed properly and if you have good dry fuel in a good stove it will work. I would stay away from that jotul and the vc. They are definitely more temperamental than most other stuff on the market
I wish I would have waited another hour lol, I just got done making another post about this. So what other stoves would you recommend I look at? I did a lot of research on the Blaze Kings before calling them to found out how small their fire boxes are. This is not a total deal breaker but 16" is definitely appealing to me personally. I could however, deal with it by processing my firewood a little further but obviously going to be an inconvenience.

Also where about are you in Pennsylvania if I can ask? I'm not sure what kind of work you do or if you would be interested but I live on the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia in a town called Charles Town. So I am very close to Maryland/Pennsylvania.

The large BKs will take 18" wood no problem.

The large BKs will take 18" wood no problem.
Thank you. The tech over the phone told me that they are only rated for 16" and they do not recommend trying to constantly squeeze 18" in them. The Ashford and Princess are their two largest models rather than the King that requires an 8" pipe. So I just removed that one from my mind.

I wish I would have waited another hour lol, I just got done making another post about this. So what other stoves would you recommend I look at? I did a lot of research on the Blaze Kings before calling them to found out how small their fire boxes are. This is not a total deal breaker but 16" is definitely appealing to me personally. I could however, deal with it by processing my firewood a little further but obviously going to be an inconvenience.

Also where about are you in Pennsylvania if I can ask? I'm not sure what kind of work you do or if you would be interested but I live on the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia in a town called Charles Town. So I am very close to Maryland/Pennsylvania.
Yeah not coming to WV sorry. I'm in central pa

• Haha
I think the Ashford's and Princess firebox is something like 22"w x 18" deep, but with some more room before the glass.
@Ashful, what length wood do you normally cut to? @Highbeam& @bholler. what length do you load in the Princess?

I think the Ashford's and Princess firebox is something like 22"w x 18" deep, but with some more room before the glass.
@Ashful, what length wood do you normally cut to? @Highbeam& @bholler. what length do you load in the Princess?
16 to 18 in the princess

Do you happen to know if any of the Regency stoves are larger than that? Do you like them over the Princess? I cannot remember why but when I was doing my research I was gravitating toward the Ashford 30.2 over the Princess 32.
The 5200 is. Its huge but needs an 8" vent The 3500 is fairly large but I don't remember the wood length.