Chosing a dealer in area with few stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyInSEPa

Jul 26, 2008
SE PA, near Valley Forge
Hello-

I'm both a newb, AND an engineer by training so if I think I know more than I do please bear with me...

We've got a roughly 2500 SF area to heat on two levels; the third floor had the radiators disconnected about 40 years ago. THe original system was a coal boiler with gravity feed. That piping is still in place but connected to a roughly 15 year old 80k BTU oil fired boiler. But the coal chute is still there and I'm leaning towards coal both for greater availability as well as lower cost. I'm aware that there are greater ongoing maintenance and operating issues, namely more ash.

I've talked to the only local Harman dealer who explained the ~ 6 month wait for either a VF3000 rice coal boiler or PB105 pellet boiler. He currently has 2 pellet boilers on order, but these are his first central heat systems. He has no experience with the coal boiler at all and said that he'd support them as best he could, just don't call if it goes quiet other than during the day. I've read that Harman very much wants you to buy from a local dealer, but in this case he hasn't worked with these systems before. He referred me to a local plumber who wants to "get into these systems more."

My question: Given that Harman is the only manufacturer with a local presence I should be biased toward them, but I'm not sure the support is there. I'm handy enough but being able to rebuild an automatic transmission is kind of different from managing a heating system that produces CO in large quantity. I've also explored Axeman-Anderson, EFM and AHS systems with the availability issues for all.

I can produce about 33k BTU with resistive electric heating and supplement with oil as needed, so I don't feel in a huge rush to act RIGHT NOW. So, with all of that, is there a best path?

THanks!

Tony

Boilers are a real sideline with Harman.....almost zero % of their sales. I think you are correct that you are unlikely to get much support (in general) in terms of hydronic expertise......

I'd say look hard at EFM if you want a stoker boiler.

If you can rebuild an automatic transmission, then you can singlehandedly make the moon shot! I'd put rebuilding a tranny at the top of the "handy" scale...

Thanks for the reply!

I've looked at the EFM DF520, but am a little concerned that the burn range (~ 21k to 214k BTU/hr) is more than I need. I should have mentioned that I'd like to look closer at the Keystoker KA-6. There is also a dealer about 20 minutes from where I am Heck, even an electric boiler would be about half the cost of oil if I can run off peak.

Funny thing is that I'm less than a 2 hour drive from either factory, but there is near zero market presence here. For now, that is!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.