Circulating Air around house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Montecarlossfan

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2019
Connecticut
Good Morning,
I know this has been asked many times and I have tried many of the suggestions here(push cold air towards stove, run central air fan , etc. all with mediocre results.

The house is a 1 floor ranch with the attached layout(1400 sq ft)...I was thinking of installing 2 vents (one in each far bedroom to pull air in and push it back into the stove room as it seems if i push enough volume back to the stove room i get warmed up in the office (70-72 )here but the kitchen and stove room are at 75-80+ degrees. My other thought was to also install a through wall fan to push warm air down the hallway in conjunction with the return air system.

The stove is a Harman 52i, no outside air kit as of yet since the installers I dont believe have ever seen one but that another story. ..It heats this house very well even on below zero days i can keep it a toasty 72-74 with ease.

Anyone else come up with a similar or better plan? I feel the house isn't setup to move air easily.

Attachments

• rough sketch-not scaled.png
    rough sketch-not scaled.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 131
I have a very similar floor plan as yours 1360sf. Almost a mirror image of yours. I use a box fan in the hallway (the star in the drawing) and it draws plenty of cold air in from the bedrooms which is replaced thru convection. Back bedrooms are nice and toasty. Prolly 5 deg cooler than living room where stove is. Going to add another fan in the hallway from the laundry room and see if I can get some heat back there. Gonna be 8degf tomorrow night!! I don't see where it would hurt to add a fan in that wall as long as you are pulling cold air into the stove room.

Also think seriously about an OAK. That way you are not pulling cold air into your home, from the outside, thru every draft there is.

Attachments

• house layout jpeg.jpg
    house layout jpeg.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 112
Yeah I’ve got a Vornado 630 and a lasko high volume ... I’ve been playing with it today quite a bit I think I’ve got it close to optimal... 77 up front .. 73 in the office .. I think we are getting somewhere ... I have the vornado on the mantle pushing hot and the lasko tower pushing cold air... I may do a return duct system when I have time if I find it to work with a prototype I am setting up using 2 lengths of dryer hose and the blower fan... we shall see if that works then I’ll invest time into a permanent solution(through floor).

As for the OAK I have everything setup but once I saw what they did with the cap.. I can’t block the flue yet as the vent is non functional since they basically put the harman cap flush with the flue... I’m not climbing up there to mess with it, I will have the new local shop that opened who has a good reputation come and straighten the kit out to work properly in the fall.

I know this stove is overkill for the home size but it works very well.

It’s funny how similar houses are laid out.. I’m guessing yours might have been built in the 50’s as well?

Mike

Sounds like you are on the right track. My house was built in 44. Well all but the 2 bedrooms on the right which i added 22yrs ago. House was 720sf. Cant imagine running a pdv in the house before the addition. Would need sunscreen!