Circulator Controls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPABill

Feb 10, 2011
NorthCentral PA
All,

Another question from a do-it-yourselfer who has been a devout-reader-of-posts, who is now an at-a-roadblocker.

I have installed a 500 gallon storage tank. It can be heated by either a Biomass 40 (364 days of the year) or a gas boiler (1 day per year). From this tank, tied into nothing else, is a supply to house line and a return from house line. I have a thermostat wire and power to the gas boiler, which will be relocated to this house-only circulator.

What I need is a confirmation or correction to the following idea:

I am planning in running my 24 v thermostat wire to a SPST switching relay (Honeywell RA89A), as well as power. From this relay I will power the circulator. If I understand this all correctly, the house will call for heat turning on the circulator, which will circulate hot water through the baseboards until the thermostat sends the signal to stop, at which time the switching relay will turn the circulator off.

Switching relay information: http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/69-0000s/69-0791.pdf

Thanks to everyone for all of the past posts, as well as thanks to anyone who can set me straight on this!

Thanks again,

Bill

Your explanation is correct,another option would be a Taco SR501.
What type of heat distribution do you have?

Jeff S.,
Thanks for the reply. I have baseboard, copper piping, three zones. I'm placing tees in the return to tank line for some floor heating under my tile kitchen later, after the wallet stops bleeding from this project!

I has been an interesting job to be sure. I have a "new" 1980 basement where man can be vertical, some crawlspace where horizontal works well, and some "old" 1840 "people-must-have-been-short-then" basement I almost followed the Simplified Design sticky in the boiler room, But I tied my existing gas boiler directly to the storage tank rather than to the house piping due to the gas boiler being a back-up purely in the event of emergency,and due to some physical space limitations (in the crawlspace between the two basements. I ramble....

Thanks for the reply. I'll be installing it this weekend.

Thanks again,

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.