Circulator running, no hot water coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoney28

Oct 12, 2008
Northern NY
Boiler is working fine. Circulator to the storage is running fine. Getting hot water to the house is a problem

My system worked for a few days with the thermostat kicking on the circulator and getting the hot water from the tank, but now, even though the circulator hooked to the thermostat is running, we're getting no hot water into the house. There is plenty in the boiler and the storage tank, but nothing coming into the house. I changed the circulator out for a spare, but the problem is still there. Any ideas?

Sounds like you have a air block in the lines to the house. Try turning the pump on for 30 seconds then off, on again several times. This will build a little pressure in the lines and hopefully move the air block. When you heat the water, it releases small amounts of air and it can become trapped in a high spot and it can be plenty stubborn to move sometimes. You can also try to build pressure with shutoffs if you have any in the lines - same thing open and close.

Do you have air-outs on the high parts of the line?

Are you using rads to heat ? If so try the old bleeding method. Otherwise how about a zone valve that's stuck shut. I just had the same thing happen and the zone valve was the culprit.

Thanks for the responses, guys. It turned out to be air stuck in just that section. I thought the spirovent near the boiler would take care of all the air, but this bubble was stuck on top of the circulator in the basement. I was able to bleed it and everything's fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.