1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

CL find of Ash

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Shipper50, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I was looking in the local CL listings and came across a guy who was selling Ash cutoffs for $25 a truck load, I asked him if the wood would be good for kindling and he said sure as it had a moisture reading of around 12-15%. So it took about 2 weeks for us to get together and he brought me about 20 black garbage bags of 3/4 inch cutoffs.

He makes hurling sticks which is a kind of field hockey stick but the stick is flat and they use a round ball. Its played in Ireland and here in the states.

Looks like I got a deal and gave him $35 for his effort and gas.

Shipper

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Nice, those should be perfect for kindling!
  3. Risser09

Risser09 New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    Nice score.

I responded once to a Craigslist posting offering a free pickup load of kindling. It was a furniture maker who wanted the scraps out of his shop. Ever since, he calls me every 4-6 months or so and I fill my 6" bed with oak, maple, cherry, walnut, and some others. It's kind of fun to throw in the fire what was supposed to be a chair leg, with a mistake on it somewhere. This is probably the best relationship I've been blessed with for my wood burning needs. Everyone should try to establish a connection, especially just to recycle those useful scraps of wood.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Lemme guess... Tonka? %-P
  5. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    HA!!
  6. Shipper50

Loc:
    Indiana
    I took out some pieces to check the moisture and got a reading of 22-24% and most of the pieces are around 1 inch thick. I figure by the weight of the bags I got over 1000 pounds of Ash or more for $35. The guy had a little 4 wheeled mover that was great. It said it held 1/4 ton on the side and it was gas operated and forward and reverse.

Shipper
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Shipper, I hope you've got all that wood out of the bags. Nasty being wrapped in plastic.
  8. Shipper50

Loc:
    Indiana
    I did take some out and lay them out on a board to see if the moisture reading would change. But to take them all out in my basement would make a mess and I don't have anything to put that much wood in for storage.

I decided to take Backwoods Savage's advice and took some of the wood out of the bags, the picture is around 25-30% of what I got for $35. Not all big stuff, but will work to get the fire going again when it burns down. I figure I have 3 months to let the wood air out.

Shipper

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.