CL score...I think.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Grabbed this off CL. Daka 521 furnace. In real good shape, aside from the discolored front. Anyone have/had one of these? Anything to adjust or change? Think it should work well in the shop. It cost me $25...
20220218_175232.jpg

Reactions: FTG-05
Looks like someone ran the bag off that one! Should be OK though I'd think...those old school DAKA's were pretty tough IIRC...should do the job you have intended for it...

Reactions: Gearhead660
All the Daka furnace I see for sale look like that. Everything appears to be in very good shape.
Anyone know what that thing on the door is for? Thought it was to adjust the air, but there are no holes in it, and it's just bolted on.

There should be holes behind the door damper. Usually you would back out the bolt and the damper should be threaded, allowing you to open or close it.

Anyone know what that thing on the door is for? Thought it was to adjust the air, but there are no holes in it, and it's just bolted on.
Yeah, that's weird, in the manual there are pictures both with and without that damper...but they don't address it.
On the furnaces I've seen with that, it is meant as "over (as in top) fire" air

I once had the larger 621 model which had a push/pull rod that moved a baffle in top of the firebox. Mine was a wood/coal model and I thought the dial on the loading door was for air adjustment when burning coal.

Eric

There should be holes behind the door damper. Usually you would back out the bolt and the damper should be threaded, allowing you to open or close it.
That's what I though, but its just bolted on. I might make it functional.

I once had the larger 621 model which had a push/pull rod that moved a baffle in top of the firebox. Mine was a wood/coal model and I thought the dial on the loading door was for air adjustment when burning coal.

Eric
You remember what temp snap disc it had? This one has 110 degrees.

You remember what temp snap disc it had? This one has 110 degrees.

Sorry, I do not recall, it's been at least 10 years since I owned a DAKA. You can order an adjustable snap disk and replace the fixed disk that came from the factory.

I recall setting the dial below the loading door near ETF and leaving it for good.

Eric

It's 50 degrees out today, so decided to get it hooked up. Will wait for a colder day to fire it up.
20220220_121751.jpg
Hard to tell in pic but all ctc are being followed.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Finally got some time to work in the shop and fire it up. Big improvement from the USSC stove I had in there. No worries if I will be able to heat the shop after I double the shop's Sq footage.
Current only running 1 of the 2 blowers, and running with adjustable speed control(trick learned here in the Tundra thread). It is running with the 110 degree snap disc.
Going to run the second blower off another snap disc. Question is, what temp should I get?

But what temp range?
What are you trying to accomplish? Do want the second blower to kick on only when the furnace is really cookin?
I would think you could buy the same switch and just have one adjusted low and one high...

What are you trying to accomplish? Do want the second blower to kick on only when the furnace is really cookin?
I would think you could buy the same switch and just have one adjusted low and one high...
Seems to run good with just the one blower. I guess set up the second blower in case it really gets cooking. Sort of a safety measure.