1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Clarification on BTU needs calc. for my home

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Bster13, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    here is what I learned..

A 23.5k btu kerosene heater will keep our home pretty comfortable. Running non-stop.

A 50k btu woodstove will do the same, but only if pushed hard. 4/5+ loads a day

A 80k btu woodstove will do the job and give us good long burn times.. 2/3 loads a day.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    How big is your house? How cold does it get in the winter? How well insulated?

As for the computer fans... ok, but I'd need to rig up a power supply. But I do have a few desk fans I could put on the floor that are relatively quiet. Would I need to really run the (loud?) blower on the BKP then?

3. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    My point was what we found to be true for our house and location, again just an observation. If I remeber right the bTu calc I played with many years ago says 31k is needed for heating..

2100sqft two story, over full unfinished/uninsulated basement. Built in 96, standard 2x4 construction, R 13 walls with Tyvec wrap under vinyl siding, 16" blown in the attic, 20 double pane windows, two sliding glass doors and 3 "regular" doors (2 with 1/2 or more glass).

Average "winter lows" from weather.com say:

Oct 45F
    Nov 35F
    Dec 27F
    Jan 23F
    Feb 27F
    Mar 34F

I don't know how they figure such data, (it was 15F last night) but assuming you compare it data for YOUR location, from the same source, (weather.com) it should allow for a comparison point you may be able to use.

Disclaimer: every install is different. Your results WILL vary.