class a chimney inner liner slid out on me a bit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjgaughan

Jun 12, 2015
ontario
Went to take my rain cap off for inspection and the inner pipe came up an inch or two with it before i realized the wrong pipe was coming with it. I pushed the pipe back down then proceeded to take the rain cap off as I should.

Is the pipe shot? Or will it be ok? Inside looks to be in good condition other than that happening.

Check the stove connection to make sure it didn't pull out of the flue adapter collar.

if the inner pipe is moving seperatlt from the rest of the chimney and it is a class a chimney there is something wrong and you need to inspect the entire system

Reactions: bioman and tarzan
if the inner pipe is moving seperatlt from the rest of the chimney and it is a class a chimney there is something wrong and you need to inspect the entire system

Just got it all pulled apart now. Found a sticker in the attic, chimney is "oliver macleod" brand model HT3000, from which I gather is a pretty old chimney.

The bottom section is also iffy, previous owner didnt have the adapter in the bottom, just had a jerry rigged piece of pipe shoved up to make it work.

I did get an adapter knowing this but it won't fit.

Middle section is in good shape, and top section is the one that slid out on me a bit so its probably done too.

Im thinking time for a new chimney, another $500 I didn't want to spend but I guess you can't screw around with that.

Are any modern chimney's compatible? I.e. Could I get something that would work with the middle section? I can't find much info on this brand of chimney but I would assume everything is different now.

Are any modern chimney's compatible? I.e. Could I get something that would work with the middle section? I can't find much info on this brand of chimney but I would assume everything is different now.
Generally no you cant mix chimney parts but i would call oliver macleod and ask them. They can tel you if any of their new stuff is compatible.

If i am buying used, does it matter if there are no stickers remaining on the pipe?

Just don't want to get screwed on my inspection.

If there is no label how can you be sure of its rating? How will you know its age and life cycle? What if it has seen a chimney fire or several?

Most importantly you need to make sure that the HT3000 pipe meets class A high-temp pipe spec. How do you know that another section is not failing? If the pipe is >15 yrs old I would replace it all with modern pipe. Sooner or later there will likely be a spaceout with the flue gases running way too hot. It's times like that that you want to know the system is in excellent working order and as safe as possible.

Reactions: bholler
If there is no label how can you be sure of its rating? How will you know its age and life cycle? What if it has seen a chimney fire or several?

Most importantly you need to make sure that the HT3000 pipe meets class A high-temp pipe spec. How do you know that another section is not failing? If the pipe is >15 yrs old I would replace it all with modern pipe. Sooner or later there will likely be a spaceout with the flue gases running way too hot. It's times like that that you want to know the system is in excellent working order and as safe as possible.

That's what I figured - and I do intend to replace it all now. I did find a sticker in the attic and it was rated for 650C. But will be too difficult to match up and like others have said if 2 pieces are shot this one is probably soon too.

I was just curious about the label thing, if I find some decent looking used stuff I'll be sure that a sticker is still affixed somewhere. I may have a lead on some stuff from work but I have to have a look at it. I will buy new if I have to.

Will I need to replace the ceiling support box also, even if using the same flue size? It is a round support box and meets code as far as clearance to combustibles and protrusion from the ceiling.

It's possible the ceiling support box will need replacing also. That is a good question for Security customer service. Perhaps if you go with their current class A pipe or Oliver MacCleod HT6100 it will not be necessary?

Will I need to replace the ceiling support box also, even if using the same flue size?
Mixing components from different mfgrs. usually doesn't work. Get components that are designed by the maker to work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.