Class A External Pipe Temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drakaba

Sep 27, 2023
Blanchard, ID
I have a Osburn Stratford II ZC wood burning fireplace and I am using Duravent Duratech Class A for my chimney system.
What is a normal/acceptable external wall temperature for this pipe under a "normal" fire condition?
I'm planning to light my first fire this afternoon and I'm planning to monitor the pipe temp during this break-in stage and while I still have access to the stovepipe.
Is there a point where I should be concerned?
I looked through some of the previous post around this topic but didn't find many specifics.
Any input is appreciated.

Dave

20231001_181551.jpg 20231007_165531.jpg 20231006_172926.jpg 20231007_153323.jpg

Just a guesstimate, around 120-130ºF. As long as the chimney is properly installed with at least 2" clearance from any combustible, there should be nothing to worry about.

Nice. How was the chimney temp?

It was in the range that you mentioned although my laser temp gauge was having a hard time reading the reflective surface very consistently. I needed to get this up and running as my drywall guys are are in the final stages and our overnight lows are hitting the 30's pretty regular now. Some dry heat is a good thing to finish this build.
I appreciate this site, great info on here!

I really wish I'd have been able to burn my wood stove before the chase was closed up. We just had a new house built. Never got a chance to try it, and I must say, I'm a bit nervous. Probably no need to be, but I'd definitely feel better if I could have run the whole thing at least once before it was all closed up.

Reactions: drakaba
I really wish I'd have been able to burn my wood stove before the chase was closed up. We just had a new house built. Never got a chance to try it, and I must say, I'm a bit nervous. Probably no need to be, but I'd definitely feel better if I could have run the whole thing at least once before it was all closed up.
It was good peace of mind to run it first, but honestly I really got in my own head and overthought the entire thing. It's actually super impressive how well this class A pipe works and as long as you observe the 2 inches to combustibles rule you're pretty much good.
I climbed up in my attic last night after having a pretty good fire for about 5 hours and was amazed at just how cool the surrounding surfaces to the stovepipe actually were. My confidence is increasing!

20231009_193544.jpg

Reactions: begreen
It'll be fine. I left a chimney pipe exposed for a while in a 2nd floor closet so that I could monitor it. It was still at a good temp
even after 24/7 burning. Enjoy the warmth.

Reactions: drakaba
Nice! Which faceplate did you get? I installed the Stratford II in our cabin (will be home next year) with the traditional faceplate.

Mine runs much better with n/s loads, so I started cutting my wood to 12" long.
IMG_20230516_144549.jpg

Nice! Which faceplate did you get? I installed the Stratford II in our cabin (will be home next year) with the traditional faceplate.

Mine runs much better with n/s loads, so I started cutting my wood to 12" long.
View attachment 316560
Oops, don't have a picture with the faceplate on...