Jan 30, 2013
  3. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Ravenna, Ohio 44266
    was it bypassed prior to the issue? If so check it.

4. ryanf289

ryanf289
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 30, 2013
    No, only while trying to diagnose it.

5. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Ravenna, Ohio 44266
    I would put some attention there to see if this was the problem. The switch stops the auger.

6. St_Earl

St_Earl
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 9, 2011
    Loc:
    millinocket, maine
    does this mean i owe you $5 now, kinsman? <>

7. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Ravenna, Ohio 44266
    I will look for that post where you said I will take that bet. Hold on.

Eric

8. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2007
    Loc:
    Ravenna, Ohio 44266
    Not here, sorry

9. ryanf289

ryanf289
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 30, 2013
    I pulled the control box, just to see if there was anything obvious. But because the plastic is opaque i couldn't. When I re-installed the box and plugged it back in, a blue led flashed. When I turned the thermostat on, the auger started feeding again. Now It seems to be working again, with a nice fire in the pot.

St_Earl and kinsmanstoves like this.
  10. St_Earl

St_Earl
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 9, 2011
    Loc:
    millinocket, maine
    great news. except i suppose it would be nice to know what happened as well.

glad you're up and running again.

* gonna bookmark this for the advice given.

11. ryanf289

ryanf289
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 30, 2013
    Thank you both for your help. But yes I wish I knew the cause too

12. rparker

rparker
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jul 17, 2011
    Loc:
    Vermont
    it's possible there was a loose connection? unplugging and plugging back in amy have fixed it for the time being. I had a number of strange issues with my CB1200 when I first got it and finally fixed them by tightening all of the spade connections with a pair of needle nose pliers.

13. Don2222

Don2222
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2010
    Loc:
    Salem NH
    Best way to test the feed motor is with a line cord. The part that usually fails here is the capacitor. Although when it fails the auger runs in the reverse direction!

14. Michael_J

Michael_J
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2013
    Loc:
    Vermont
    I found this post while troubleshooting the auger issue on my CB-1200. I was sure it was a problem with the auger motor (~$190) or the control box (~$250). I tested the auger motor after removing it from the stove and it worked fine. I found the problem to be a loose set screw where the motor fits into the auger. It took a while to find the problem and I offer it here since I did not see it in the posts.

tjnamtiw likes this.
  15. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 9, 2009
    Loc:
    North Georgia
    How are you checking the 'perfect continuity' on the vacuum switch while running? Are you measuring 120 volts from its output to ground? Or are you disconnecting the wires and putting an ohmmeter across the terminals and reading zero ohms?

16. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 9, 2009
    Loc:
    North Georgia
    Glad you got it running. Often, one step in diagnosing problems is often to remove and replace the control box (with the stove disconnected). I guess it worked this time!
    One other thing. If you bypassed the hopper lid switch with a magnet, that means your hopper lid was open. Earlier you said that the hopper was empty during the troubleshooting. You would never get enough vacuum to pull in the vacuum switch with that situation. You never said anywhere that you jumpered the vacuum switch so it might pay you to rethink your troubleshooting routine for the next time.

17. weldingrod

weldingrod
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2014
    Loc:
    N.H. USA
    I have a Quadra-fire 1200-I pellet insert which is about 10 years old. It has been bullet proof and never gave me any problems until this year. I was having an issue where everything seemed to be working fine except for feeding pellets. After several hours of troubleshooting, I found that my thermocouple was defective... ( the wires are supposed to be soldered\welded together inside the thermocouple cover.) This sits right above the fire-pot and measures the flame heat. When I pulled the cover off, I found the wires were no longer connected. I was able to squeeze the wires together tightly enough to make contact and the feeder started feeding correctly and the stove fired up. I ordered a new thermocouple ( $110.00 ) and replaced it ( about 15 minutes ) and everything has been perfect since.

St_Earl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.