Classic Bay 1200 smoke issue, Please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm!

I been shopping online for a new auger bearing and gasket and I noticed that the CB1200 has 2 different auger motor assemblies.
Dose any one know any pro's or con's between the 2? I have the older style like the one on the right. augr1.jpg auger2.jpg

You can't get the older style any more, and you need to buy the whole auger assy. to replace. kap

I did that before with my James town stove and I believed that when the chimney warmed up it created a vacuum on the fresh air. I had constant burn problem's and constant need air intake adjustments.
All the way up?

You can't get the older style any more, and you need to buy the whole auger assy. to replace. kap
I found the parts for my older style and did see that I could still buy the same auger, I was just curious if the newer style is actually better or worse, quieter or louder, Jambs a lot, and if it uses less electric?

But you did give me an idea that I could possibly use the chimney to run the OAK down to the basement. Shorter run and not frigid air going into the stove.
My basement is not so sealed and some of my furnace duct dose vent heat in there but not very often when the stove is running. There is only the gas hot water heater that competes for oxygen down there and my furnace is 2 pipe direct vent ( fresh air in, exhaust out).

I found the parts for my older style and did see that I could still buy the same auger, I was just curious if the newer style is actually better or worse, quieter or louder, Jambs a lot, and if it uses less electric?
I would go with the new. Less moving parts.

But you did give me an idea that I could possibly use the chimney to run the OAK down to the basement. Shorter run and not frigid air going into the stove.
My basement is not so sealed and some of my furnace duct dose vent heat in there but not very often when the stove is running. There is only the gas hot water heater that competes for oxygen down there and my furnace is 2 pipe direct vent ( fresh air in, exhaust out).
They say that is a no no, but to each his own. If it doesn't work, maybe continue on thru an outside basement wall then?

Ok! Now what do you guy's th
They say that is a no no, but to each his own. If it doesn't work, maybe continue on thru an outside basement wall then?
Well I have done a basement fresh air intake the past when I used to have a Hot blast add on wood furnace. The city inspector was surprised and impressed when I did it. I used a bucket just like this photo and it only takes oxygen when it's needed and doesn't create cold air draft and your basement to lose heat. oak 2.png

OAK means Outside air the basement does not qualify and it can add further issues because of the chimney effect (negative pressure issues) is stronger down another level.

You have to maintain at least a 3 foot separation between the vent termination and an OAK termination (it is a forced air intake) to eliminate possibly pulling in the oxygen depleted and ash laden air from the pellet stove system.

It always amazes me how things get installed at times.

OAK means Outside air the basement does not qualify and it can add further issues because of the chimney effect (negative pressure issues) is stronger down another level.

You have to maintain at least a 3 foot separation between the vent termination and an OAK termination (it is a forced air intake) to eliminate possibly pulling in the oxygen depleted and ash laden air from the pellet stove system.

I don't have the available 3' distance to an outside wall. Wouldn't it make sense to take air from another area of house that you can provide fresh oxygen than using the oxygen from your living space.

I also forgot to mention that the chimney was to be used as a chase for pvc piping for the oak. If I shorten it to the height to the basement ceiling than I can get the oak run less than 3 feet and it will take it from an area where fresh air is provided.
Like I mentioned when I made a basement fresh air intake my city inspector was impressed.

I don't have the available 3' distance to an outside wall. Wouldn't it make sense to take air from another area of house that you can provide fresh oxygen than using the oxygen from your living space.

Your vent termination is high in the sky far more than the minimum three foot clearance to where your OAK termination would be. Going down is fine but the OAK termination really should not be in the basement, a ventilated crawl space is one thing a basement which has the house above it and is open to the house is an entire different kettle of fish.

I also forgot to mention that the chimney was to be used as a chase for pvc piping for the oak. If I shorten it to the height to the basement ceiling than I can get the oak run less than 3 feet and it will take it from an area where fresh air is provided.
Like I mentioned when I made a basement fresh air intake my city inspector was impressed.

PVC is a no no in a solid fuel burning system, it must be metal of a minimum thickness even.

You certainly would not have wanted me to be the inspector.

Everytime I see the plastic vents on a super duper gas device, I cringe hoping that someone hasn't got a wood burner hooked up instead.

Going down is fine but the OAK termination really should not be in the basement, a ventilated crawl space is one thing a basement which has the house above it and is open to the house is an entire different kettle of fish.
I agree it really should not be, but I really don't have an option and I am providing fresh air using a basement bucket fresh air supply.

PVC is a no no in a solid fuel burning system, it must be metal of a minimum thickness even.

You certainly would not have wanted me to be the inspector.

Everytime I see the plastic vents on a super duper gas device, I cringe hoping that someone hasn't got a wood burner hooked up instead.
I was thinking PVC because it is fresh air only and far clearance from any hot stove pipe, use a flex vent to terminate into the stove.

I agree it really should not be, but I really don't have an option and I am providing fresh air using a basement bucket fresh air supply.

You are missing the point which is to get rid of the negative pressure in at least the burn system, placing the OAK termination in the basement puts it in a location in your house which in all likely hood has the highest negative pressure of all.

I'm looking for a air flow that goes from outside low to outside high to stop smoke from being sucked out places other than up the flue.

I have a basement install without the OAK I have a cruddy burn.

Last edited:
That's old school all right! Cold air won't come out of bucket unless there is a demand.

I think as long as you had metal pipe, x amount of feet from stove, you should be able to run pvc after that. I have flex metal pipe coming off my AE that is in the basement, for two feet, and then change to pvc where it goes outside thru a basement window I boarded up with styrafoam insulation between the sheets of plywood I painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.