classic bay 1200 trap door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moey

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2012
Southern Maine
Theres two trap doors on the classic bay 1200 one at the bottom of the burn pot and one below that leads into the ash pan. Both operated by pulling the same lever.

Are both these trap door supposed to be fully closed or is either supposed to be cracked a little?

I assume both should be fully closed, but please correct me if Im wrong.

The bottom trap door into the ash pan does not close very well it tends to bounce back open and leave a crack. You have no way of knowing if its fully closed or not without pulling the ash pan out.

I have a lot of ash buildup in the front of the burn pot on low and medium no clinkers and trying to figure out if its normal or if something is not right. I get it with all three pellet types Ive burnt PWI, cubex, and Maines Choice ( the worst one for this buildup)

Surprised none of the CB1200 owners has chimed in....this will bump thread back up to the top.

I understand that the gap should not be larger than what a dime would fit through on edge.

I understand that the gap should not be larger than what a dime would fit through on edge.

Does that mean there should be a gap? Or if there is one it should not be larger then a dime as you mentioned. My trap door was bent so it left a large gap I bent it so it fit flat, now Im wondering if there was supposed to be a gap. I would think a gap would mix exhaust air with clean air. Theres obviously some mixing going on its metal on metal so it cant seal that well.

I really shouldn't matter one way or the other (no gap, small gap) as long as it isn't so large you get a pile of burning pellets down below.

No. The bottom door (not the pot door) should be flat. If its hitting that stop and boucing, get a small file or rattail file and make a small notch in the bottom. That way, when it hits, it can't bounce up, it gets trapped in that little notch.

I had to do this also. That is considered a burn Pot bypass on this stove. Where the Castile and Santa Fe get there air from the ash pan, they only have one door.

Now your top door (bottom of pot) should have a gap no larger than a dime.

The bottom door is eliminating all your air from going through the pot. Its losing pressure and air because of that gqp.

Hope this helps

Reactions: moey
No. The bottom door (not the pot door) should be flat. If its hitting that stop and boucing, get a small file or rattail file and make a small notch in the bottom. That way, when it hits, it can't bounce up, it gets trapped in that little notch.

I had to do this also. That is considered a burn Pot bypass on this stove. Where the Castile and Santa Fe get there air from the ash pan, they only have one door.

The bottom door is eliminating all your air from going through the pot. Its losing pressure and air because of that gqp.

Hope this helps

Thanks much thats what I thought too but wanted some verification. My problem is when it hits the notch it goes in then it bounces back 1/4 inch or so and you have no way of knowing if its closed. My original problem was the plate was bent up so it didn't even slide in the notch it was bad I fixed that. Ill have to try the notch the next warm day, lately Ive just been vacuuming.

Hope this helps

Im confused by this statement "Now your top door (bottom of pot) should have a gap no larger than a dime" does that mean if I were to look down into the burn pot I should see into the chamber below through a small gap in the pot door?

Im confused by this statement "Now your top door (bottom of pot) should have a gap no larger than a dime" does that mean if I were to look down into the burn pot I should see into the chamber below through a small gap in the pot door?

No. This is looking in the clean out/ignitor area (plate just under ash lip). Look in there, and the bottom plate, shouldn't be hanging.down more than a dimes distance.

Looking down in the pot, you should just see the pot floor.

The bottom trap door should have no gap when looking in this area.

Stove is Hot, I will try and take a pic tomorrow if needed?

No. This is looking in the clean out/ignitor area (plate just under ash lip). Look in there, and the bottom plate, shouldn't be hanging.down more than a dimes distance.

Looking down in the pot, you should just see the pot floor.

The bottom trap door should have no gap when looking in this area.

Stove is Hot, I will try and take a pic tomorrow if needed?

ok got it thanks. I just had it apart today so I know exactly what your talking about now.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.