Cleaned masonry chimney today w/pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stop drop & roll

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2007
North Jersey Sticks
Hey all, cleaned the masonry chimney today. Thought I'd post some pics, thought it was interesting. I have not touched it since last season, and the "shinney"creosote was just flaking off, making it real easy to clean. I did have to put up with that chimney smell on humid summer days though, not sure if it was worth it! Here is the before pic, I'll post again for the after pic.

Attachments

• chimney pics 005 500x375.jpg
    chimney pics 005 500x375.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 267
Here is the after pic. This chimney is connected to a VC Intrepid II that I burn oak seasoned for aprox 1 year. I burned nights and weekends last year, hopefully 24/7 this year. These pics are from the horizontal run through the wall, exterior chimney, stove installed on first floor(by-level).

Attachments

• chimney pics 008 500x375.jpg
    chimney pics 008 500x375.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 278
Cleaned mine this past week, no one up, but mine was cleaner than your after post. Makes me feel pretty good about how my stove is working as I ran it 24/7 last year. Had a big pile at the bottom, but nothing in the chimney itself. Only spot I had was right across from the output of the stove to the chimney. Feeling pretty good about it right now.
Chad

My verticle run was real clean, it's just the horizontal run where I collect all the creosote.

Attachments

• chimney pics 010 200x150.jpg
    chimney pics 010 200x150.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 249
yes the horizontal runs are always worse than the vertical runs.
If you burn 24/7 it stays cleaner because you keep the stack temps up and creosote doesn't form.

Status
Not open for further replies.