Cleaned my 7" SS chimney and accumulated............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
.........about 3-4 cups of ultra fine fly ash , all of which was clinging to the walls after burning 2 tons last year.
Chimney measures about 30' in length so I doubt the combustion fan has enough power to blow it all up and out.
I probably could go 2-3 years or so or maybe 4-6 tons before a cleaning but I`ll err on the side of safety and do it every year since it only takes 20 minutes for my son or grandson to climb on the roof and send the brush down and pull it back up.
Anyone else vented into a long chimney like mine? I`d like to hear how much fly ash your`e getting.

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
if stove aint smoking in room & i know that ash wont burn like creosote, i thinx the constriction of the pipe may be beneficial where its constraining the excess air thru the stove= i wouldnt clean it until it smoked but CO is invisible/odorless . i got co alarm & it reads 0 & i cool my singlewall exhaust pipe with fan

I see what you are saying . Actually the SS chimney runs up thru the center of the house and has a good draft.
The stove never smokes or smells and the CO detector isn`t far away with no changes to the reading.

Gio said:
.........about 3-4 cups of ultra fine fly ash , all of which was clinging to the walls after burning 2 tons last year.
Chimney measures about 30' in length so I doubt the combustion fan has enough power to blow it all up and out.
I probably could go 2-3 years or so or maybe 4-6 tons before a cleaning but I`ll err on the side of safety and do it every year since it only takes 20 minutes for my son or grandson to climb on the roof and send the brush down and pull it back up.
Anyone else vented into a long chimney like mine? I`d like to hear how much fly ash your`e getting.
I get about this much??

Attachments

• 2009_0305Image0007.JPG
    2009_0305Image0007.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 241
no pane said:
Gio said:
I get about this much??

Yeah, I love that picture.
Just don`t let Obama see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.