Cleaned part of the chimney yesterday.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
I took the time to clean the chimney from the Ash Cyclone on the Wood Gun to the clean out just outside the house. Was glad I did. Had a little build up of ash in that, oh, six foot section of pipe. I don't like any build up. That was basically a result of a plugged cyclone cone I had a while back. I try to keep an eye on that as often as possible. Seems to happen more when burning the White Pine slab wood as apposed to the hard wood. I was able to clean up the chimney a ways with a tool I have and then put it all back together again. Reseal the two connections I have left where I disconnect it from and let the high temp caulk dry overnight. I will clean the boiler itself again in a few days and start moving wood under the covered porch every chance I get. It is getting to that time of year to get the whole supply of wood in under the porch. I will have my chimney guy come over and do the whole chimney later in November before the heavier snow starts to come. Then have him clean again in February or March. Getting a little rain now. Next week the temperatures will be dipping into the low 30s. A little heat demand will be coming soon.

I haven't cleaned my chimney ever. It still don't need it after 3 years of burning year round. I did have to take a bird out once.

Cleaned boiler and chimney(with Sooteater) earlier this month. Probably have the chimney guy get up on the roof in Feb or so just to be sure it's still in good shape for the last half of the heating season. I think the Sooteater does a good job but I can't see up the chimney and I'm not about to get on the roof to look down it.
Been putting truck loads into the woodshed every chance I get, it's about half full now. Looks like after this weekend I'll be switching from oil to wood.

I haven't cleaned my chimney ever. It still don't need it after 3 years of burning year round. I did have to take a bird out once.

Hmm. Do you check it a couple times a year at least? Glad for you that it stays that clean. I need to clean mine twice a year. I don't get a lot of buildup, but I like to keep it really clean.

Hmm. Do you check it a couple times a year at least? Glad for you that it stays that clean. I need to clean mine twice a year. I don't get a lot of buildup, but I like to keep it really clean.

I cleaned my WG chimney last month. I found nothing by fly ash in it. No creosote, nothing dark.

I like to run the Sooteater up it once during the heating season just for insurance.

The Sooteater does and "ok" job. In my wood stove flue I did get ~ 1 cup of creosote out using a traditional brush that the sooteater missed.

ac

looked in mine over the weekend. i have a tee at chest level outside so i can look right up the chimney. can still see a bit of reflection bouncing off of the stainless going all the way up! about an inch of fly ash in the bottom of the tee and a dusting in the 3' horizontal section. i have only been burning every 5 days through the summer though...

all I get is a little fine ash on the wall. Nothing to worry about. I have checked it a few times.

I cleaned my WG chimney last month. I found nothing by fly ash in it. No creosote, nothing dark.

I like to run the Sooteater up it once during the heating season just for insurance.

The Sooteater does and "ok" job. In my wood stove flue I did get ~ 1 cup of creosote out using a traditional brush that the sooteater missed.

ac

That is good. I don't have creosote. That was only from burning wood in the past that was not properly seasoned. I do get some ash build up in my section inside the house. Mostly the horizontal section that goes through the wall. I believe this is from burning this White Pine slab wood I burn. It is seasoned for over a year and moisture content is good. But everything about it is messier. I am thinking that many be because of all that extra bark I am burning. I am getting to the end of my supply of slab wood. I think this will be the last of it I burn. Cord Wood is easier to handle, stack, and burn.

all I get is a little fine ash on the wall. Nothing to worry about. I have checked it a few times.

Good. What type of stack temperatures do you have woodsmaster? Do you have a way to measure that temp? And where do you measure it if you do?

Usually between 330 and 425 measured about one and a half foot out of the boiler.

When I had my wood stove I had to clean the chimney two or three times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.