Cleaned The Chimney After 2 Years....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Or rather the Dixette & a buddy did :)

Last year we just brushed the cap, as the chimney was to warm from the last nights fire. At the end of last season, I was tapping into this years stash, so I blame a lot of this on that firewood. The cap wasn't looking pretty, so I made the call to git 'er dun. The Dixette said it was all fluff, and 2 passes with the brush saw it nice & clean.

This is the PE ....

20151122_151836.jpg

The 13 was spotless, and it was cleaned last year.

Caveat *Dix recommends atleast yearly cleaning, even with seasoned firewood * :)

Last edited:
Looking good Dix :)

Looks like a couple o' crunchies but not too bad. Probably due to tapping into the less than ideal wood like you say. Last year was a tough one, lets hope we don't have a repeat. They're forecasting a milder winter. That's probably the kiss of death.

We need a break J, for sure. I'm just about done cleaning the leaves from around the stacks. Experienced the ice with frozen leaves in it last year, NOT doing that again :mad:

We need a break J, for sure. I'm just about done cleaning the leaves from around the stacks. Experienced the ice with frozen leaves in it last year, NOT doing that again :mad:
Been cutting a lot of tops and brush from storm damaged trees. And leaves and leaves and leaves. I put up an overhang off one of my sheds the first year I got the new stove to act as wood shed. That holds my ready to burn wood so not dealing with the frozen messes for the stove but I have had to modify my stacking due to that problem. Stuff (read oak) was just not getting dry reliably. Have a lot of 3 year oak this year that's not as good as it should be. Was doing double stacks on pallets but switched to single rows two years ago. Recently been top covering as much as possible too.

That's black rice coal diamonds lol - I sure we have a "normal" winter, the last two were horrible with the long lasting below normal temps.

The draft is a lot better, I can vouch for that, Secondaries are kicking butt ;)

I top covered 6 weeks ago, and I usually don't top cover until this time of year.

Blew all the leaves off of the stacks this week, as well. Drained pockets of rain water on the tarps also.

Status
Not open for further replies.