Cleaned the Rangeley/ chimney, a few observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

waltdog

Dec 20, 2011
North Idaho
Last week we had a warm afternoon so I took the chance to get up on the roof and try my hand at chimney cleaning. First thing I noticed, every screw on the external chimney brace was loose and about to come unscrewed. Not a big deal a bit of loctite and problem solved. Next thing I found was the storm collar caulking had failed after only two months. Some good exterior grade caulking had it fixed right up. After all that i finally did sweep the chimney yielding about 2/3's of a cup of creosote.

I am glad I went up to inspect, and proves to me that a periodic inspection is a good idea.

You make a good reminder to everyone. It never hurts to check as things can change all the time and therefore maintenance schedules may need to change also.

I went up to clean the chimney new year's eve and was surprised to find more accumulation than normal. I guess the warm fall / early winter had me operating the stove at lower temps than normal and things added up. After last year's cleanings I was sure I wouldn't need to sweep mid-winter. I was glad I checked things out.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.