Cleaned Up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, spent a few hours on Saturday cleaning out the old ash and inside stove pipe of the Olympic. havent scrubbed the chimney yet, but it didnt really look all that bad. The Chimney cap could use a good scrubbing though.
I have burned the stove for two years and this was the first time i had cleaned the stovepipe. Was real easy to do. I didnt find much in it, some fly ash in there laying on the bottom of the horizontal run, but nothing really crusty or anything like that. Found more crusty stuff inside the stove than I thought I would though. Got it all scraped out and shopvac'd out. This weekend I will scrub the chimney and wire brush the cap and I will be officially ready!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Well, spent a few hours on Saturday cleaning out the old ash and inside stove pipe of the Olympic. havent scrubbed the chimney yet, but it didnt really look all that bad. The Chimney cap could use a good scrubbing though.
I have burned the stove for two years and this was the first time i had cleaned the stovepipe. Was real easy to do. I didnt find much in it, some fly ash in there laying on the bottom of the horizontal run, but nothing really crusty or anything like that. Found more crusty stuff inside the stove than I thought I would though. Got it all scraped out and shopvac'd out. This weekend I will scrub the chimney and wire brush the cap and I will be officially ready!

That's always a good feeling knowing that you're all set to safely take on mother nature in all her fury.
Ed

no, I did it last year too. I jsut never took apart the stovepipe before to clean it

Had the chimney sweep out this morning. My roof is to high for me to mess with.

johnsopi said:
Had the chimney sweep out this morning. My roof is to high for me to mess with.

Very smart and safe idea. I have a friend, 65 and retired who just went up on a 12' porch roof. Fell down, landed wrong and is now paralized in most of his body. Not a nice retirement option. Leave the cleaning to the pros if you're not comfortable and enjoy life to the fullest.
Ed

Planning on cleaning both of my chimneys this week or the weekend. Tis the season. I used some 1/2 seasoned wood at the tail end of the spring this year so I bet I will have a little more than 2 cups of black powdery stuff this time :red:

No worries, like others have said it is nice to have a clean "tube" ready for the burning season :)

colebrookman said:
Very smart and safe idea. I have a friend, 65 and retired who just went up on a 12' porch roof. Fell down, landed wrong and is now paralized in most of his body. Not a nice retirement option.

Oh thanks. My sixty-one year old self really needed that right before going up on that thirty foot roof next week to clean the two chimneys. :mad:

BrotherBart said:
colebrookman said:
Very smart and safe idea. I have a friend, 65 and retired who just went up on a 12' porch roof. Fell down, landed wrong and is now paralized in most of his body. Not a nice retirement option.

Oh thanks. My sixty-one year old self really needed that right before going up on that thirty foot roof next week to clean the two chimneys. :mad:

You and me both. I'll be 35-40 in the air before I am able to look down my chimneys. This week I'll be tightening the torsion springs on the new garage door next week the chimneys. I'll probably survive it all only to be nagged to death by my better half. :)

BrotherBart said:
colebrookman said:

Very sad but true story 'BB'. But we also can't live life hiding in a closet. Just be careful and have your plot paid in full. :lol:
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.