Cleaning a Jotul 550 from the stove up question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
I am looking to clean my stove on my own and cleaning from the roof is not an option. Had a sweep come in with a "Viper" system and do it from the bottom this fall but it's too expensive to keep paying the sweep. I could buy a Viper system but they cost $300+. I have read on this site about cleaning using the electrical PVC pipes and the poly brush and that sounds great. My question is - has any 550 owners cleaned from the bottom up using rods or the PVC pipes? It seems between the stove sitting back 18 inches from the hearth and then the bends inside the stove (I know you have to take out the baffles and secondary pipes) that there is too much bending to work the pipes up. Also I don't have the standard Jotul pull down pin hook-up to the SS liner, it was screwed in. I don't want to pull the stove out to clean. Help. Thanks

i just have a f3cb but im new to cleaning my own too. i can only clean bottom up and i just have the rods and a 6inch brush, i take off baffle and just start sweeping all the way to the top. i have a pretty straight shot i just have 1 small 45 turn not a big deal. what is the viper system? ill still have sweep come next oct to look things over and sweep again i case i miss anything.

I think there might be an answer to your problem by going to" jotul c550 rockland tips thread". I am pretty sure I saw something there about cleaning from bottom up. I'm lucky, I clean from the top down. good luck in your search. Labrador

See if "Bottom up cleaning on a c550 Rockland" helps answer your question.

I did read that entire thread (again) and there is only a brief mention of cleaning but no one actually discusses the ability or inability to sweep using either pvc pipes or the other poles. Just wondering if there are any 550 owners that actually sweep their own from the bottom up and how they do it? Thanks

Happy New Year! ANy 550 owners out there? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.