Cleaning ash and burning 24/7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

chutes

Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2008
CT
I do not have an ash trap of my insert and I'm burning 24/7 (well, mostly). It is a nice day today so I'm not adding splits, but I have a good bed of coals to make getting a fire going later this afternoon much easier. I'd like to clean ash but keep the coals. Is there a trick to doing that, or am I best to let it burn coals burn down, clean all of it out, and start over again?

Rke the big coals to one side, pick up SOME of the ash, mix up the coals and add wood. I take a little out every day to 3 days. If you burn hot the ash is a fine dust.

chutes said:
I do not have an ash trap of my insert and I'm burning 24/7 (well, mostly). It is a nice day today so I'm not adding splits, but I have a good bed of coals to make getting a fire going later this afternoon much easier. I'd like to clean ash but keep the coals. Is there a trick to doing that, or am I best to let it burn coals burn down, clean all of it out, and start over again?

I want to know the same thing. Just wondering if I am doing it right.

As burn time said use a rake. I made mine but you can buy one. I push the coals to the back and remove the ashes in front then pull the coals forward with the rake. A rake is the most important tool in my estimation.

I have a six inch lip or sunken base and burn 95% pine. This leaves me with less coals and very little ash. I burn 24/7
and shovel the stove out every 2 weeks & sometimes into the third. This would be in the evening after Ive burned right down and my cat is no longer active. I shovel the ash out of the front. Rake what coals are left to the front and start the process over again after I reload and get the cat active.

i like to work my ash grate shaker while mixing the coals,this drops enuff ash into the pan to lower the ash pile in the stove,and keeps all or most of my hot coals,,I know some think the ash pan is usless as ive read on some posts,but it seems to work for me ..ZZZim

bokehman said:
Do it first thing in the morning after your overnight burn. The majority of the coals will be at the back, while at the front will mostly be ash without coals. Just remove a few shovelfuls of ash from the front of the firebox before reloading.

Yeah that's the ticket. Also if you have to dump some hot coals in the bucket...so what? The bucket will radiate heat so it's not like the coals are wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.