Cleaning brick mortar around the hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hi everyone. Lots of the mortar, and some bricks, around the woodstove are very dirty looking and wife would like me to clean them - not sure what to use, or if it's really possible. The darkening from before I bought the house about 1.5 years ago, so not sure what caused it to begin with. Any advice greatly appreciated! P.S. Looks like NH is going to miss the northeast snowstorm AGAIN - what a weird year - only about 2 inches here in the last 4 weeks!

NH_Wood said:
Hi everyone. Lots of the mortar, and some bricks, around the woodstove are very dirty looking and wife would like me to clean them - not sure what to use, or if it's really possible. The darkening from before I bought the house about 1.5 years ago, so not sure what caused it to begin with. Any advice greatly appreciated! P.S. Looks like NH is going to miss the northeast snowstorm AGAIN - what a weird year - only about 2 inches here in the last 4 weeks!

Look into TSP that may be what you need to clean your mortar.. As for the weather I'd gladly trade you.. Gonna be the wet heavy stuff here today.. The jet stream determines everything and this year it's after our southern friends..

Ray

3 parts water x 1 part bleach!

Works good with a scrub brush.

Thanks guys - will either TSP or bleach discolor the bricks? Yes - unbelievable how the mid-atlantic has been hit relative to us - we'll get our payback! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Thanks guys - will either TSP or bleach discolor the bricks? Yes - unbelievable how the mid-atlantic has been hit relative to us - we'll get our payback! Cheers!

It didn't discolor mine, just cleaned all the black stuff off.

Status
Not open for further replies.