1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cleaning Chimney CAp

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by nate379, Feb 15, 2013.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

What is the easiest way to clean the chimney cap if it can't be reached from the roof without having to tear the chimney apart?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    You talking about cleaning it from below from inside the pipe?
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    If you can't reach it, this should do the job of knocking off the creosote. No word on whether it will tear your chimney apart.

id_m101_105_usmctaps_700.jpg
  4. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    You could use a sooteater and get a second head leaving the whips long so they scrub out the inside of the cap.
    daveswoodhauler likes this.
  5. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I also use this approach. I usually have wife go outside with the binoculars to tell me when I reach the cap area. I think this year I am going to paint the head of the soot eater a florescent orange/bright color, so its a little easier to see when the head reaches the cap area.
  6. charly

charly Guest

I agree ,, my soot eater cleans my cap as well... Before attaching the last section to my drill I feel for the cap top, then I have an idea of how much rod distance to reach the cap... once there I just spin the drill in both directions,, not too fast or you'll start tearing off lines... works great..
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

I have a soot eater, but the strings are cut to fit the pipe. Should I have left them long??
  8. nate379

nate379 Guest

My pipe is about 9 ish feet from the roof on a 6/12 pitch. I broke my back a few years ago after falling off a roof while roofing, so I'm a bit gunshy about rigging up ladders to get to the cap.
    Rather nit spend 100$ or whatever to have it done.
  9. charly

charly Guest

I left my lines the correct size for the pipe and it worked fine a week ago,, and they had already been previously used... That head oscillates back and forth once the strings pop up out of the pipe and are in the cap area.. I also rotate the drill in both directions once at the cap.
  10. nate379

nate379 Guest

Ok. I wasn't sure how well it was actually cleaning it being that I can't really see the inside of it.